Computer Help forum

General discussion

card recommendations for DSL

by Dragon / June 5, 2004 12:24 PM PDT

We'll be getting DSL service in the near future. My wife said they (our phone company) told her they would tell us exactly what kind of cards (for whatever it is we need for DSL) to get at Best Buy, and that they would install them for us in both puters.

My question is, should I just go along with what they say we need, or do you think you can make suggestions that would be helpful for when I talk to them about it. I was thinking that whatever they think we need may not necessarily be the best for us.

Im also thinking we probably need hardware for a firewall, beyond the software (Sygate) firewall Ive already installed. And do you have a better suggestion than Sygate?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: card recommendations for DSL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: card recommendations for DSL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:card recommendations for DSL
by Michael Geist / June 5, 2004 1:39 PM PDT

The basics for a shared broadband connection are:

1) Ethernet cards(either wired or wireless) in each computer
2) A multiported wired or wire/wireless combo router
3) CAT 5 cabling for a wired connection

The choice of wired vs wireless is up to you with convienence going to wireless and speed/security going to wired.

Collapse -
Re:card recommendations for DSL
by Kees Bakker / June 5, 2004 6:27 PM PDT

Wired Ethernet NIC's (network interface cards) are a commodity. Not really much difference, I think. For wired connection they are a better choice then USB.

Wireless is often done with USB. It's up to you to decide if you want/need wireless. It's more expensive anyway, but you've got less cables through the house and you can use a laptop everywhere, including in the garden. Be sure to have the latest WPA encryption: WEP is no longer considered safe enough: http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=107756,00.asp

Most routers come with a hardware firewall included. Off-the-shelf suffices normally, unless you want to use your computer as a games server.

I recommend going with the telco's choice. Their techs will have experience with them, and be able to solve any installation problems faster (and cheaper) than with other equipment. If you know what they want you to buy, you can ask for a comment here, of course.

Hope this helps,

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.