Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Card Reader/Writer

by Walt H / November 8, 2004 7:35 AM PST

I have a Dazzle 8-in-1 card reader/writer. When my OS was Win 98SE, I installed the software and was able to use the "writer" function of this item. Now I'm using WinXP SP2 which does NOT require the driver installation to READ cards, however I cannot use the "writer" function (presumably because the software is NOT installed). I really need to use the "writer" function but I wonder if installing the software will cause trouble with my WinXP SP2 system.

Has anyone running Win XP SP2 installed software for a card reader/writer with no problems from your XP SP2 system?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Card Reader/Writer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Card Reader/Writer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Card Reader/Writer
by rgfitz / November 8, 2004 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: Card Reader/Writer

I use a Viking Intelliflash USB 6-in-1 Memory Reader for reading camera cards and writing to cards used to transfer files to my laptop with no trouble at all. The interesting thing is that when I right-click on one of the Reader drives in My Computer, I can click "eject" and remove the card after the LED next to the card slot goes out.

Collapse -
by Walt H / November 8, 2004 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Card Reader/Writer

Are you running WinXP SP2? Since XP does NOT require driver installation for the card readers, did you install the Win 99 drivers to get the "writer" function of the card reader?

Collapse -
by rgfitz / November 8, 2004 11:44 AM PST

I am running Windows XP SP2 but now that I think of it, I did not run any software to install the Reader/Writer...it worked out of the box.

Collapse -
by Stan Chambers / November 8, 2004 11:51 AM PST

Check the Mfg. website for driver compatibility, or an updated driver for Win XP. Drivers are constantly be updated to accomodate the the newer operating systems.
I would also try installing the driver which came with the card. You can uninstall if it doesn't agree with XP.

Collapse -
by Walt H / November 8, 2004 12:10 PM PST

I'm trying to repair a smartmedia card using the card reader/writer and the smprep.exe program (which is installed when you install the drivers)? This is what I"m trying to do. I've done this before when I had Win 98SE, but since WinXP doesn't require the driver installation, I'm trying to figure a way to do the same thing on WinXP.

I need to use the smprep.exe program which is only installed when you install the drivers. How can I do this running Win XP SP2 since it does not need the driver installation.

Collapse -
What is the purpose of the writer feature
by mustang3 / August 26, 2005 2:37 PM PDT

Its it worth spending more money for? I have looked on ebay at a umpteen zillion today and could kick myself in the butt for not buying the very first on I put in '''watch this item" box. It is gone now. but it was the only one I saw that was an 8 in 1 Sandisk card reader that read both flash and sd and also came with a 256 sandisk memory sd card. for a penny pluss $26.00 postang but I think it was worth it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.