Computer Help forum

General discussion

Card bus problems

by GeorgeRR / February 10, 2008 4:57 AM PST

Gateway 400 VTX XP svcpk 2
I had been running this computer wireless. I wiped the hd and reinstalled xp to get rid of the dialup connection popup. (I tried everything else)Since I re-installed the OS, I can't get the wirelss to work.
I have a Belkin G card adapter that turns on but only gets poor signal strength. The router is only 3' from the unit.I bought a new ZyXEL G card, it comes on but doesn't s/r. The direct plug in net work cable works ok. The other computers on the wireless network work ok. I tried the wireless usb adapter from my desktop,(this unit) doesn't work on the laptop. BTW I can't use the utility on either card.After install it flashes on the screen and disappears so I can't do nuthin'. What's up? Maybe I missed something along the line??
Thanks a lot
GR

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Card bus problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Card bus problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Missing details?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Card bus problems

I read where you may have installed XP but maybe you didn't use some RESTORE CDs or forgot some drivers. Check your installation guide to see if you skipped some driver.

Collapse -
Missing Details ?
by GeorgeRR / February 10, 2008 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: Missing details?

Thanks Bob. Senility once again rears it's ugly head. I thought I had re-installed all the applicable drivers but apparently left out a couple. I also had to reset the router and re-join the network, which was no problem once I found the flash drive with all that info stored.
The ZyXEL card doesn't seem to be working at the present, but that is not a problem as long as the Belkin flys.
Thanks again.
P.S.
My login doesn't seem to work for cnet from that computer. I will check it out and find out why.

Collapse -
missing details
by GeorgeRR / February 10, 2008 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Missing Details ?

Got it all fixed, at least for the time being.
This coming wireless from the laptop.
Thanks again
GR

Collapse -
All the lovely drivers
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: missing details

Are driving me mad... I can only hope that the next Windows will fix this.

Collapse -
Use the network diagnostic
by jconner / February 10, 2008 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Card bus problems
Collapse -
Use the network diagnostic
by GeorgeRR / February 10, 2008 6:47 AM PST

I guess it was a driver. It seems to be working now but we'll see for how long.
Thanks for the response.
George

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?