Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Carbon Footprint of Metropolitan America

by Dango517 / June 17, 2008 3:48 PM PDT

Hmmm, the map doesn't seem to synchronize with the data. It would seem that in areas where people commute the longest distances the foot print would be larger. Also areas with the largest populations would also have the larger foot prints yet the map shows the mid west as having the largest dots. Coal might account for some of it, moving jobs too the South might have more to do with it. Doesn't make scene, hmmm .... GEORGE!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Carbon Footprint of Metropolitan America
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Carbon Footprint of Metropolitan America
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too bad "man made" C02
by critic411 / June 17, 2008 8:50 PM PDT

Has nothing to do with global warming.

This track unthreaded

Collapse -
Nor does
by Dango517 / June 19, 2008 3:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Too bad "man made" C02

Collapse -
It looks like people who actually work
by Steven Haninger / June 17, 2008 10:08 PM PDT

in what remains of our factories, mills and other's that produce the goods we buy and sell abroad are really causing us a carbon headache. We must find these people and stop them immediately and teach them the joys of life in Margaritaville. Happy

Collapse -
Remaining factories ?
by grimgraphix / June 17, 2008 11:04 PM PDT

What remaining factories? Oh... you mean all the fast food joints !

Collapse -
by Steven Haninger / June 17, 2008 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Remaining factories ?

Lotsa carbon in that french fry cooking oil. Happy

Collapse -
I see smog choked California has a very small carbon
by Kiddpeat / June 17, 2008 11:49 PM PDT

footprint. Can anyone spell "crock" as in what a Crock!

Collapse -
I personally think "carbon footprint" stats are misleading.
by grimgraphix / June 18, 2008 12:33 AM PDT

They lend themselves to the same kinds of manipulations that you find the government doing when it releases unemployment stats. In other words, some criteria is deemed "important" and some is left out. Then there is the idea that carbon output can be compensated with carbon credits. This is nothing more than the Pop Eye/ Wimpy saw of "I will gladly pay you tuesday, for a hamburger today"... Where is the proof that these carbon credit projects are being completed? What percentage of money invested in carbon credits are being used up with administrative fees and dividends paid to the company owners? It is all smoke and mirrors?

What happens if these carbon credit companies are unprofitable and go out of business before doing that voodoo that they claim to be able to do so well?

... I just sprained my brain with that last sentence... Grin

I have recently been watching the new "Green Channel" being offered on satellite TV. I have been infuriated by these shows showing this year's flavor of conscientious urban dwellers changing their homes to recycle/reuse chic. The designers brag about switching to recycled building materials and energy efficient appliances... all the while as they rip out perfectly good materials and relatively new appliances that attracted these yuppies to buy their fashionable residence to begin with. What "carbon footprint" are these folks creating by rushing to remodel in an effort to have less impact? Seems to me the mantra of "reuse and reduce" would be better met if these wanna be environmentalists don't remodel until they actually have to.

Collapse -
Did you notice...
by J. Vega / June 18, 2008 2:53 AM PDT

Did you notice that the report was talking about per capita? I looked at that full report, as I noticed that one of the worst cities was, of all places, Jackson Mississippi - not what I'd class as a thriving metropolis in the LA or New York sense.
Down in the report I noticed the statement "This variation is even more striking when adjusting for a metro area's economic output or Gross Metropolitan Product (GMP) - an indicator of carbon intensity.". Adjusted for GMP? I suspect "massaged" data.

Collapse -
RE: I suspect "massaged" data.
by JP Bill / June 18, 2008 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you notice...

Isn't all data with more than one factor "massaged"?

Collapse -
That's what I was referring to when I called it a Crock.,
by Kiddpeat / June 18, 2008 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you notice...

Sopmething like crock of ****.

Collapse -
Crock of bean?
by JP Bill / June 18, 2008 4:51 AM PDT

How come the filter didn't block mine?

Collapse -
Isn't that abbreviated as
by Dango517 / June 18, 2008 5:31 AM PDT

B.S.. Myself I like statistics they can tell us a lot about the world when done honestly without a hidden agenda. Unfortunately I'm not sure this study is being straight with us. Perhaps more puzzling is, who's side is it on? When a study is "messaged" to the state your asking yourself this question then the question becomes.... what's the point? < Huh, now that's a sentence Grin

Collapse -
(NT) Doesn't water vapor count as an effect too?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2008 5:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
I've read it's by far the biggest contributor
by Steven Haninger / June 18, 2008 7:18 AM PDT

coming it at 95+% depending on who does the number crunching.

Collapse -
So sequester it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2008 8:48 AM PDT

I'd think our research into sequestering CO2 could be used here.

Collapse -
Well, CO2 has a high affinity for H2O
by Steven Haninger / June 18, 2008 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: So sequester it?

So it seems we could just wash one greenhouse gas with the other. OOPs. Ya' gets acid rain from that. Like it's said "In order to get something clean, something else must get dirty".

Collapse -
(NT) Why don't we just do what we are already doing?
by critic411 / June 18, 2008 10:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sure aren't they doing that with old oil wells
by Dango517 / June 18, 2008 6:59 PM PDT
In reply to: So sequester it?

besides it would give us more reason to dig more oil wells. Mischief If you want to find a good CO2 scrubber how about more trees.

Collapse -
Think about how that oil got there in the first place
by Steven Haninger / June 18, 2008 7:36 PM PDT

How about lots and lots of plant and animal life thriving in just the right climate and with plenty of CO2 to sustain the cycle. Year after year, decade after decade of abundant hydrocarbon producing conditions including lots of CO2. And so we're afraid of a little extra carbon dioxide in our atmosphere now. Heck, maybe we're just setting ourselves up in another fossil fuel cycle. Think about it....someday you and I might just be a tank of gas in someones Hummer. Grin

Collapse -
We are the next "Atlantis" ?
by grimgraphix / June 19, 2008 1:36 AM PDT

I've read sci fi books that use that plot. Each continuing civilization being just self destructive enough to wipe itself completely out of sight and memory. LLet us hope the next group of furry / scaly / chitinous skinned critters grow a better set of front lobes than we have !

Collapse -
Natural environments are in balance to some
by Dango517 / June 19, 2008 7:15 AM PDT

extent. The problem with the current situation, our situation is we are releasing huge amounts of CO2 from plants that died millions of years ago. We release it by burning fossil fuels. These ancient CO2 stores are not part of the natural order of things and we have been releasing this CO2 for nearly a two hundred years, first by burning coal for heating and industry then gasoline for cars and soon/now we're going to pay a price. That price more then likely will be famine, social anarchy, mass migration and war. We've not just adding a little extra CO2 to the system we're dramatically changing our weather. CO2 in large amount adds an insulating blanket to our atmosphere that traps in heat. A Summer time rise in temperatures of 20F can cook the temperate regions crops and destroy it's natural environments. It doesn't take a Science fiction writers imagination to realize the possible consequences. The desert regions will be the first effected. The fifteen year famine in Africa maybe directly a result of Global warming. The Africans present situation maybe our future. Think.....Chad, Ethiopia and the Sudan in Mexico and the American South and Southwest.

Collapse -
You need to rethink this statement
by Steven Haninger / June 19, 2008 8:44 AM PDT
"These ancient CO2 stores are not part of the natural order of things..."

I'd say they were definitely naturally occurring. Even if the earth's ecosystem was disrupted by a cosmic or geothermal event....that's all "natural" unless you'd think a supernatural being caused it. I don't disagree that....and I've said here before....that fossil fuels are stored solar energy that went unused for eons and is now being used at a much more rapid rate than the rate with which it was produced. Such is, IMO, why tapping solar energy today isn't going provide as much energy as we think it will...Plus, I'd think blocking too much of the sun just might have it's own negative consequences because.....that's very unnatural. Wink
Collapse -
Don't fight it Steve,
by critic411 / June 19, 2008 8:51 PM PDT

Close your eyes, take a deep breath and let the C02 hoax permeate your brain. Then you too can be a doom and gloom slinging enviro zombie.

Collapse -
by JP Bill / June 19, 2008 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't fight it Steve,

and there is too much government involvement in our lives.

Everyone has a "pet peeve"?

Collapse -
Well I suppose you could look at it this way critic411
by Dango517 / June 19, 2008 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't fight it Steve,

If we go to Ethanol fuels you'll have plenty of the hard stuff to sooth your frazzled nerves. Have you been hitting the mason jar today, by the way?

Collapse -
Drunk or sober,
by critic411 / June 19, 2008 10:02 PM PDT

I still make more sense then you.

Collapse -
RE: Drunk or sober
by JP Bill / June 19, 2008 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Drunk or sober,

Which are you now? Devil

Collapse -
I'm at work, so drunk,
by critic411 / June 19, 2008 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Drunk or sober

Don't you have your foot fetish to keep us updated about?

Collapse -
RE: Don't you have your foot fetish
by JP Bill / June 19, 2008 11:21 PM PDT

Since you read my post mentioning foot fetish, you must have forgot what I said.

OR perhaps it's something else

Keep in mind I don't have a "foot fetish"

I know you don't see smilies.

Collapse -
(NT) I see your smilies
by critic411 / June 20, 2008 12:05 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?