Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

Question

Car tires and their false warranty form Kia and HanKooK

I purchased a 2009 Kia borrego from a Kia dealer in Orlando Fl on colonial Blvd.I was told from the manager when I bought the car that they would warrant the tires from the day I bought the car for 3yrs or 36,000 which ever comes first. Well the first time I went to dealer they did the tire rotation no problem. The second time I went they told me they don't do that and I would have to pay for it. Only after I argued the matter did they do the rotation.Now after 18 months and 22,000 miles that I put on the car though there was just under 5,000 on the car when I purchased it(27,000 total).The tires are dry rotted and the tread is no good the dealer passes the problem to the tire manifacturer Hankook. After speaking to Judy at Hankook I was informed that there is no warranty on these tires.They only warrant tires that are purchased outside of the car dealers.So low and behold I am screwed and will have to pay to replace the tires even though the tires Hankook RA-07 265 60 18s have a 60,000 mile warranty.And this is not the first time that I have gone through this ,I had a 2004 Durango purchased brand new and the tires were gone by 25,000 .And the Chrysler dealer did nothing neither did goodyear. At the current prices of tires for my truck Hankook at about 200.00 per tire not including mounting balancing and such ,its insane that they don't warrant their tires.Who can afford to throw that type of money away.At this point if you buy a new vehicle you are paying the full price of these tires only to have no warranty.You would be better off to purchase the car without tires and bring your own that have a real warranty!!! It seems as if the dealers are purchasing old or defective tires from the manufactures,charging us the full price and leaving us to foot the bill or even worst putting our safety at risk all for a buck!! If anyone else has had the same issue or anyone could enlighten me or even better help me out please answer this post???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Car tires and their false warranty form Kia and HanKooK
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Car tires and their false warranty form Kia and HanKooK
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
tire warranty

In reply to: Car tires and their false warranty form Kia and HanKooK

Many times OEM fitted tires are compounded softer than the same replacement market tires for a smooth ride
and wear faster often at the veh. mfr. request.
When I worked for A major U.S. tire mfr 25 yrs. often OEM tires while they looked identical to the replacement market tires had a different sku product code .Also the tire engineers explained that to us. Too bad the tire company did not offer a 50% pro rate in your case we did that occasionally on a case by case basis if the tread wear was reasonably even so as to rule out alignment issues . The tire warranties are separate from the vehicle warranties and provided by the individual tire mfrs. This may not always be true depending on the Tire and veh mfr.
many tires have a 3/32 ~ layer of softer compound at the top of the tread to facilitate a smooth ride when new
the first rotation at 3-5,000 miles is important.

Collapse -
Tire Warranties???

In reply to: tire warranty

Thankyou for answering my post,you proved my point. especailly that the tires that they are putting on the car are not the same that you can buy on the outside.This is why the guy at discount tire company told me that if I bought the same hankook tire from them at 240.00 a piece they would last to 60,000 .And they checked the tires and except for the dry rot and the threads wearing out way too fast the damage was not from not improper alignment or improper air in the tires. They were always rotated and checked on a regular basis.I have had other tires wear out on other cars faster though when I have gone to the place where I bought them they have always prorated them and it has worked out fine. Though these were always tires bought outside of the dealers.The goodyears I had for the durango I was treated in the same manner as the Hankooks,and never purchased anything else from goodyear or the dodge dealers.As for the Hankook Al Labador from Hankook told me, he would give me a couple of bucks but only if I could prove that they were defective.Which he knew that they would not have to shell out anything. As far as he was concerned that was normal wear.As discount tire even told me that they would have a hard time proving that they were defective even though they agreed that the tires should not have been dry rotted or worn out they way they were.It cost me 640.00 to install michelin latitudes with a 65,000 mile warranty on the truck this past weekend.And if Al Labador had offered to give me 200.00 or more towards purchasing a new set of tires for the truck ,or half the cost of installing another set of hankooks on it I would have been okay with it. To me it would of been good buissness sense to do it rather than to lose a customer that will never buy from them again and to make sure to tell anyone else the way they do buissness. In this day in age when money is tight and people cannot afford to spend their money foolishlly you would think that companies would be more worried about how and where people make their purchases.Look at what happened with Bank Of America tried to take advantage of their customers and they brought the bank to its knees.But unluckily this is the way it is today and its sad to think that no one cares about the customer or consummer anymore.Welcome to the real world!!! Thanks again!!

Collapse -
Side wall rips Hancock tires on Hyundai sonata

In reply to: Tire Warranties???

I have had two side wall cuts requiring new tires in two weeks. Is this a problem with Hancock tires

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.