General discussion

car clock

I have a Honda Civic automobile. Assume that I need a new battery and that it takes exactly five minutes from the time the old battery is taken out until the new battery is installed. During that five minute period will my car clock be stopped and have to be reset when the new battery is installed? Thank you. user470

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: car clock
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: car clock
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It gets worse.

The Civic we have required us to input the PIN code to reactivate the car radio. Our civic has a GPS so that had to get the PIN code too but since GPS gets the time from the sky we only had to input PIN codes to 2 devices.

Maybe there is a better way? A super auto tech may know to jumper in some power to avoid all this?
Bob

- Collapse -
Ahh there it is.
- Collapse -
Since there's no backup power supply...

...then yeah, it will be reset (I assume your Civic has a digital clock).

Personally I'd just resign myself with doing the reset. Trying to feed continuous, active power to the car--even with a trickle charger through the cigarette lighter---while replacing the battery not only risks potential damage to the vehicle's electrical systems (when the new, fully-juiced battery is suddenly attached to the circuit), but also puts the person doing the swap in harm's way. I'd hate to see a story about someone's full cardiac arrest over a dead battery on the evening news...

CNET Forums

Forum Info