Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Car Auctions are on.....

by Rolway / January 19, 2007 9:45 AM PST

Speed Channel if you have it. Right now its in Scottsdale, AZ under a huge tent. Pouring rain out there I guess.

Its on all weekend 2 pm til midnight. Unbelievable cars going for cheap money too. Happy

George

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Car Auctions are on.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Car Auctions are on.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yeah George, been watching
by John Robie / January 19, 2007 10:42 AM PST

those auctions for the last couple nights, even the reruns to 2-3AM.
Hey, didn't know there were that many millionaires willing to spend that much money on greatly restored cars. How about that 47' Studebaker pickup that went for $79,000, and all those late 50's 60' Vets for 70k to over $100,000. Many cars that I personally thought should not sell for over $25,000 went easily for $65,000. Auctions always bring more money than what something is really worth in most cases.
Great to watch, but smaller less known auto auctions with less rich people will get a better buy.

Collapse -
Their web site
by John Robie / January 19, 2007 11:02 AM PST
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/

As I recall hearing the other night, a person can register a car for sale by putting up $400 & something dollars, then when the car is sold at auction the buyer & seller pay Barrett-Jackson 8% each of the selling price. They usually announce the days running total of sales every few hours which run into the 100's of millions worth of sales.
I also believe your car has to be picked by a panel to enter the auction as there is not enough time in 4 or 5 days to auction all the cars that want to be sold. This one executive the other night said he has looked at thousands to select. Have not seen any rust buckets being picked. Happy
Collapse -
You won't see any rust buckets on there john..
by Rolway / January 20, 2007 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: Their web site

Did you see that 1937 Ford "Woody" Station Wagon that went for something like $125,000. I once owned a 37 coupe, but have never ever seen a Woody in the 37 Ford series. Boy, I see a lot of cars on there I once owned, but they sure never looked like those. I paid $1395 for my 67 Ford mustang fastback in 69. It was like new. I sit here and watch them roll those fastbacks thru that auction at $80,000 and $100,000. I like to cry. Sad

George

Collapse -
No I missed seeing
by John Robie / January 20, 2007 1:49 AM PST

that 1937 Ford Woody Station Wagon. My dad had a 1934 Ford Woody Station Wagon he uses as a work car during WWII. I remember it had the right front side door missing. I used to drive it only in the driveway. :-).
Like you, I did own a 1937 Ford Coupe. Purchased it in 1950 off a used car lot for $125, even had a radio. Never cared much for the mechanical brakes, required a lot of adjustment as at least one wheel seemed to lock/drag quite a bit. My 1939 Ford had hydraulic brakes which eliminated the lock/drag of one wheel.

Collapse -
Yeah, if I remember right....
by Rolway / January 20, 2007 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: No I missed seeing

that 1937 had cable brakes. Every time you slam on the brakes, you had to re-adjust them as they stretched. Only had those cable brakes for a couple years I guess. Most were the rod type with turn buckles. My 34 & 36 convert. had the rod type. Those 37's had a 60 horse aluminum head engine in them. What a piece of junk that engine was. I never paid more than $25 for a car back in those days. Maybe $30 if it was running.

I once bought a 1934 Dodge 4 door touring sedan with the spare wheels mounted on each side in the running boards. All leather with a roll up window between front & rear seats. Paid $20. The engine was blown and the convertible top all shredded up. Pulled the engine and put a 6 cyclinder chrysler engine in it. Ripped off the rest of the top and what a car. Used wear a black derby hat with a big ceegar while riding around town. Everybody used to say...Here comes Big Al. Happy We sure had some fun back then.

George

Collapse -
Good Grief.....
by Rolway / January 20, 2007 10:10 AM PST

A 1966 Supercharged Shelby Cobra just sold for $5,000,000 Bucks out there at the Auction in Scottsdale, AZ

Yes, thats $5 million

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?