PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Capturing video via SVideo IN. Are there any video cards using

by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2004 7:05 AM PST

the nvidia chips that have an SVideo IN port to allow video capture from a VCR via SVideo out from VCR to SVideo IN on the video card??????

If yes, which ones???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Capturing video via SVideo IN. Are there any video cards using
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Capturing video via SVideo IN. Are there any video cards using
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Capturing video via SVideo IN. Are there any video cards using
by Art / March 20, 2004 7:18 AM PST

Ray, I think most if not all vcr don't have svideo output unless you have a SVHS vcr. Couldn't you just use the composite output? No composite inputs on the card?

Collapse -
Art, I have two VCR's with SVideo out [S-VHS]

The question is whether there are any Nvidia type cards with SVideo in. The ATI AIW cards do.

Collapse -
Re:Capturing video via SVideo IN. Are there any video cards using
by Art / March 21, 2004 2:08 AM PST

My gosh..you've got the svhs market cornered, hehe. Ray..I am curious, is there any reason/s for the Nvidia or is just to compare prices?

Collapse -
Hi Art. The actual answer is

that I am an email friend of Toni Hackler. She is the one doing video capture and making VCD's and later DVD's. I do none of this so I am a weak crutch for her to ask questions of, so sometimes I post in the forums as if it was me having a problem.

A number of times, I know that she would like to ask you for help. If you are intersted in helping her, maybe email her at her Moderator email address. [thackler@zdcommunity.net]

Toni has been using an ATI AIW 9700 Pro but was having problems. She now has a Dazzle 150 USB and a Pinnacle PCI capture card and Pinnacle Studio 9. So for a day or so she was using an Nvidia video card, but it doesn't have an input for SVideo. Nvidia was simply a possible option if the ATI problem doesn't get resolved.

It looks as if she has discovered the source of the ATI problems. It's software had taken over some of Windows MM associations. But she hasn't put the ATI card back in yet.

She is the one that has two VCR's with SVideo. [Svideo is supposedly a little better even when using a standard VHS video].

The forums are such a PITA to use that it might be best if she could get expert help via email. Then after the problem is solved she could make a single post in the forums describing the problem and the solutions.

The forums are a PITA when having to log on each time to use it, no search capability, have to open simply to see the resposes.. They also have slowed down very much for me [40K], so very annoying to use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.