Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Capturing pix from CD recording

Hello to everyone:

I have a family CD that was made from old 8mm movies. I would like to capture individual pictures from scenes in them. It was suggested to do as follows: When the picture appears click on "Print Screen", then go to Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint, when Paint opens go to Edit>Paste & the image will appear, then go to File>Save as, then give it a name & store it in a file. It goes downhill from there. I see the picture as long as I am in Paint. If I close out of Windows Media Player it then appears as a black picture in Paint. I tried renaming it as a j-peg but got bupkiss. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Rather than ramble on if more info is needed ask & I will provide it.

Thanks, Vince

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Capturing pix from CD recording
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Capturing pix from CD recording
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vince, this is real complicated a picure on an 8mm film?

In reply to: Capturing pix from CD recording

Collapse -
Capturing pix from a CD

In reply to: Vince, this is real complicated a picure on an 8mm film?

Thanks for responding:

No, someone in the family had 8mm films put on CD's. I want to capture pictures of family members that are in these CD's. I'm not sure of what else to tell you or anyone for that matter.

Vince

Collapse -
Try Media Player Classic

In reply to: Capturing pix from CD recording

Without getting into the details, leave it at that you need special software to be able to take screenshots from videos.

Media Player Classic, an all around excellent replacement for Windows Media Player, has just such a feature built into it. Just load up the video, pause it when you get to the image you want to save, then under the file menu is the aptly named "Save Image" option.

I highly recommend making Media Player Classic your default media player for everything except audio. For audio, I'd recommend WinAmp, preferably the old version 2.95. After version 3.0, it's all downhill at an increasing rate IMO, but they are all still better than Windows Media Player. I think you'll find Media Player Classic to be compact, light weight, and feature packed. Everything Windows Media Player isn't.

Collapse -
Media Player Classic

In reply to: Try Media Player Classic

Jackson:

Thanks for the help. Where do I find Media player classic? There are so many that offer it but I'm not sure if they are all the same. What version & which supplier?

Thanks, Vince

Collapse -
Official source

In reply to: Media Player Classic

http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=82303&use_mirror=internap&filename=mpc2kxp6490.zip&106094

If that doesn't work, try the following link, which should take you to the 4 versions of the latest release. It's really only 2 versions, just compressed differently. The first two are for Windows 2000 and XP, the bottom two are for Win98 and Me. Each one comes in either a zip file or a 7-Zip file. If you don't know what 7-Zip is, get the plain zip one.

It will contain only a single file, and that is the entire program. Just copy it to wherever you like. Personally, I made a Media Player Classic folder in Program Files, and then set up shortcuts to it in other places.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358&release_id=403110
Collapse -
Media Player Classic

In reply to: Official source

Jackson:

I downloaded it & it seemed to do just as you said. Good man! I'll let my son monkey w/ the making of Folder, Files & Shortcuts. My luck usually runs out as my blood sugar gets low (am Diabetic). He$$ I wouldn't want to puch a wrong key & lose everything or launch a missle over Iraq. Thanks again.

Indebted, Vince

Collapse -
could have been worse about missile sent

In reply to: Media Player Classic

met a man who worked in the ICBM missle silos in Germany. Both he a partner denied being drunk (they were!!). One day, one man removed his key and inserted into the keyhole, other didn't. Next day the reverse happened. Fortunately for the world, but didn't put in those keys and turned them for we would have WWIII!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.