Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Capturing music from vinyl disks

by rschoedel / October 30, 2003 1:19 AM PST

I'd appreciate any information about how to do this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Capturing music from vinyl disks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Capturing music from vinyl disks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two posts. Same answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2003 2:46 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Capturing music from vinyl disks
by frankzxcv / November 15, 2003 1:58 AM PST

well there are many routes but

assuming you have a soundblaster card and wave studio,

just hook up your phonograph to an amplifier, then hook up a wire (you'll need a stereo rca to mini cord) from one of the amp's RCA "line outs" in the back to your "line in" on your sound card. DO NOT GO FROM THE SPEAKER OUTS!! yeesh . . .

make sure the "aux track" or whatever the sound card calls that plug is enabled and the volume is up in windows audio.

turn on wavestudio and hit the record button.

play your phonograph record.

hit stop when the music is over and voila you have a standard .wav file that you can edit and put onto a CD.

you'll have to do a few tests to make sure the levels are right. in general, stay out of the warning zones beyond "0" as much as possible.

there's more to know, (theres'a lots of fancy audio editing software out there) but that's all I know.

--fj

Collapse -
This worked for me.
by Kiddpeat / November 15, 2003 5:57 AM PST
Collapse -
by normmacder / November 23, 2003 8:41 AM PST

I have burned about 500 disks using Music Match Juke Box from both tapes and vynal records. I have used other programs as well,but none of them are as easy to use or have the same options as MMJB. One thing you must not do is amplify the output from a turntable- just feed it directly to the input jack on your computer. Make use of the options to level the sound and also choose the mode - MP3 to save space or WAV if you want to be sure it will play in any type of cd player. BTW amplification will distort the lower bands - MMJB handles any amp. necessary. Another advantage of this program is if you wnt to take the time you put the music on yr. hd. and drag it to a burning program and use print screen for titles. You can also just burn it with MMJB. Hope I have not been too long winded. I usually get 4 sides on a disk.
Jocko

Collapse -
by hotmiami / January 24, 2005 1:06 PM PST

Are you saying you didnt require a pre-amp?

I have heard that MusicMatch loads a bunch of spyware onto your system. Neverused it for that reason.

Collapse -
re: Capture vinyl to hard drive
by hotmiami / January 24, 2005 1:02 PM PST

1. Purchase Totalrecorder (or Totalrecorder pro) therres also a couple of freebees out there too but I prefer TotalReorderPro.
2. Goto Radioshack and purchase (special order incidentally) a pre-amp approx $25.
3. Your going to place the pre-amp between the output cables from the turntable on one side. The cable from the sound card will connect to the opposite side of the pre-amp (which requires a 9v battery by the way)
Note: Insure your cables have a proper cable converter if required. Most likely it will be placed on the sound card side of the pre-amp. Older component systems always required a pre-amp connected to a turntable, fyi.

4. Place your platter on the turntable, fire up TotalRecorder (there are parametes to select in TR for your recording source output. ie: wav or mp3. Yes,TR will capture the sound as it exits the soundcard and will optionally convert the data your captureing to mp3 or ogg even I think. Click the record button, put the stylus on the platter and thats it.

TotalRecorder will capture internet radio from winamp, windoze media player, etc. Or cassettes too [no pre-amp required for anything except vinyl.

Like anything else you need to experiment a little and dont be afraid to use HELP. Hope that answers your query.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.