Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Cant Update

by kliq / March 26, 2010 5:53 PM PDT

I have an Acer Aspite 3680 Laptop running Vista. I installed Ad Aware, Malaware Bytes Anti Malware, and Avira. I am unable to download updates of any of them. It is not an internet issue as I can go online.

With Malaware Bytes the error I get is Error Code 732 (12029, 0).

Is there a setting I need to change? Or are these programs not compatible with Vista?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Conflicts
by Phil Crase / March 26, 2010 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Cant Update

Sounds like too many cooks in the soup. Could be that you may want to get rid of some of what you are trying to run. Rule of thumb, one antivirus/spyware one firewall otherwise some items will create conflicts with others and frustration sets in. Some of the "FREEBIES" create more issues than they resolve, especially if one or more of them is touted to perform a similar function(s).

Collapse -
Phil Maybe Right...I'd Try...
by tobeach / March 27, 2010 4:48 PM PDT

completely disabling Ad-Aware (paid version?) then try updating other 2 as first step. Avira v.9 & MBAM definately don't have any conflict w/ each other at least in the free versions (I have 'em both). Just updated both tonight normally.

The new Avira v.10 includes "cloud computing" component so that might be a factor IF you have it installed.

There is also, revealed this week, a new malware that over writes other programs' up daters but chance you have that is slim I think. See:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/032510-new-malware-overwrites-software.html

If disabling AAW doesn't work then I would suspect you've got an infection, Have / can you scanned w/ MBAM & Avira yet (since no update happening)? Try it from Safe Mode to by-pass an infections start up
on reboot to safe mode if can't via normal mode. How to SM in Vista:
http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

Can you access major security home pages via the net like Avira or
AVGs or Symantec ? If that access is blocked.. than the infection has probably got into your "Host File".

Possible something (malware attack trick) has changed in your firewall settings causing it to block update exe's?? Check that the updaters have permission to access the net.

See IF you can use an online scanner like SuperAntiSpyware's (SAS) new one: http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html

Hope this helps. Please Post back with results, good or bad. Write down names & paths of anything discovered by scanners. Happy

Last but not least: Have you tried a System Restore to B-4 problem?

Collapse -
Ill try
by kliq / March 27, 2010 5:18 PM PDT

Thanks for the tips. I should mention, these updates never worked. This is my Dads computer and it was running poorly so I wanted to clean it up for him and I just installed all three of those programs (because these are the 3 programs that I use) and then trying to update them failed

Collapse -
I Found The Following Which May Help
by tobeach / March 28, 2010 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Ill try

EC 732 means "cannot connect to update server" on net.

Some malware may have affected IE settings which MBAM uses for updating. I don't ...think..this is your problem since you can browse the net (using IE 8?). But worth a check:
"Go to the control panel, then to internet options, and then to the connections tab. Click the LAN Settings button and make sure all three buttons are unchecked.

I had the same problem with both MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware --- wouldn't update.

Don't know why changing the settings worked --- or how they got "wrong". Good luck."

Also while there check that the box for "Use Proxy" is NOT checked. If it is remove check mark in the box.

Note that MBAM update server IS NOT at same addie as MBAM. Org. so you may need 2 items to be permitted in firewall.

Hope this works. S Happy

Collapse -
by daslu / March 28, 2010 9:13 PM PDT

thanks for info

Collapse -
I Posted Your Problem at MBAM....
by tobeach / March 29, 2010 3:00 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

& received (as usual) their rapid & solid, extensive advice. Brother they're good!

If you haven't got MBAM to work yet, then visit my post there (linked below) and be prepared to print out Sam's reply so you can try offline.
If you want to post there, it's a free registration (like here).
Post back w/ results please! Fingers crossed. Happy

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=44948

Collapse -
I tried
by kliq / March 30, 2010 2:17 PM PDT

I that online scanner and i found nothing (though I couldn't update it)

I also tried changing those settings posted above and also nothing.

However, I did just realize something that could help, Internet Explorer does not work along with all those updates. The only way I can access the web is through Mozilla.

Collapse -
Bingo! Mbam Needs IE as Functional...
by tobeach / March 30, 2010 4:51 PM PDT
In reply to: I tried

even IF not used normally. Which Version of IE have you got (7 or 8)?
In your IE, (I'm 6) at the top, there should be a way to check for any
assorted TOOLBARs. There are options there to disable ALL toolbars and reset to factory defaults. Try to do that & then in IE Options, check privacy & security tabs & check that Security is set at medium & privacy is set to medium high. High setting for security blocks just about all items by treating everyone as a security threat (including MBAM). You will want it back to high but for testing purposes....

Note: In Vista you may need to right click programs and select to run as administrator if not using Admin logon account.

This link will get you the manual offline install defs for MBAM:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Additionally, download & save (via Mozillla if need be)Free SuperAntiSpyware (SAS )from the following links. The 2nd link downloads the current update for manual install offline:
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

It includes under the "Preferences" button> "Repairs" tab numerous
auto repair tools, Several of these should help .

IF IE still not working, Run the "Network connection" (Winsock LSP chain fix) & the "Remove IE policy restrictions" fix. These should get IE up again.

IF system Restore Or task manager aren't working, SAS has auto fixes for those also.

Did you try the items posted at MBAM in my link above?

Because you could install MBAM ,I don't think you got the TDSS type infection which would prevent install of programs like these.

Please post back w/ results. Hopefully there should be some improvement showing. Patience,tho hard to come ,by is helpful! Happy

Collapse -
i tried
by kliq / April 4, 2010 1:55 PM PDT

Ive tried everything in this thread and nothing works. I dont think its spyware related. I think its got something to do with network permissions. Anyone got any ideas?

My IE is 8.0 but before i had 7 and that didnt work either.

Collapse -
I'm Low on Ideas Now....
by tobeach / April 6, 2010 4:54 PM PDT
In reply to: i tried

my suspicion resides in the MS Security center &/or firewall permissions for outgoing or maybe the UAC permissions. Assuming Admin log on.

What firewall is in use? Is it one way inbound (MS) or 2 way both in & out(Zone Alarm, Outpost, or)?

What was/is his main active A/V ? Several of the big ones would block install/updates of competitors programs unless you disabled their real time guards. The reason I suspected malware was that it seemed that protection services & their updates specifically, weren't being allowed. This often happens IF malware has entered a long list of protector addies to the host list in internet options as restricted sites. But since IE doesn't work anywhere/ any site....neither 7 nor 8...

Did you get the manual updates via Mozilla & manage to install them for SAS & MBAM & scan??

AT the MBAM site, in reply to my post, there was a number of files that needed to be given permissions & several tests for connectivity etc. I think if you start a post there, that in getting MBAM to update, they'll have located the root source problem which affects all other problems. If you do that, please include a link to my post at MBAM to avoid duplication:
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=44948

I have no further ideas to help at this time. Possibly the browsers forum.

Maybe some one else will have better/different ideas... Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Don't run too many security programs
by cheapwebhoster / April 7, 2010 2:01 AM PDT

More than one security programs especially Anti-virus is bad. They tend to synchronize their activities at the same time. The simplest idea to explain this by some example:

1. Virus attack - both programs will try to scanned and remove it at the same time. This caused conflicts as both is fighting each other. Beside that when two or more programs run at the same time the system resource (memory) is reduce significantly that may result in your computer to freeze or shut down unexpectedly.

2. Updates: Coincident synchronized updates can happen at any moment eating a lot of system resources.

3. There are many more bad things about using too many anti-virus programs. You will find out by experience.

Suggestion: Use the best and only one antivirus/internet security programs like Kaspersky, NOD32

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?