PC Applications forum

General discussion

Cant't Play DvDs on Computer

no matter what i do or try i cant play dvds on my computers dvd drive. i've tried windvd, some other thing that came on a dvd, and ClipRex DS. It starts fine but when it gets to the title menu it freezes and i get a message box saying [name of program] has encountered an error and needs to close...
can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant't Play DvDs on Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant't Play DvDs on Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cant't Play DvDs on Computer

In reply to: Cant't Play DvDs on Computer

Given the information in your posting, I can only write to try uninstall and reinstall the DVD software player.

Look up GEEXBOX on Google and try that as well. If GEEXBOX looks too geek, have a friend make that boot CD for you. I don't offer any support for this, but use it when I need to tell if the DVD drive is good.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Cant't Play DvDs on Computer

In reply to: Re: Cant't Play DvDs on Computer

geexbox works so i guess its not the dvd drive. i tried reinstalling the dvd software but still no luck. any other ideas. (id rather watch dvds from within windows)

Collapse -
Now we know it's a windows thing.

In reply to: Cant't Play DvDs on Computer

But no mention of the OS verion, the machine and more.

I feel I'm a trapise artist and there's no net. My choice to not do much up here.

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

For now, only you know what the error is, what video card, OS version, what version drivers and more, more, more.

At least it is possible to play DVDs on that hardware but that's allthat I can offer.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Now we know it's a windows thing.

In reply to: Now we know it's a windows thing.

sorry bout that

P4 2.4 GHz
256 Mb ram
Nvidia Geforce 2 MX400 (driver version 6.14.01.4303 these are the only drivers from nvida that work with the card)
Asrock P4VT8+ mobo (via chipset using the 4 in 1 drivers)

I've tried windvd, Cliprex DS, Interactual Player (came with matrix reloaded) and neither worked.
GeeXboX works.

The dvd will start fine but it freezes at the title screen and a pop-up appears reading "<name of program> has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

I think thats all the info but if u need more on my comp specs or ne thing else just ask.

thnx

Collapse -
Try...

In reply to: Re: Now we know it's a windows thing.

1. 32-bit color setting, It's counterintuitive to some that DVD playback is easier on the GPU/CPU at 32-bit color.

2. No power supply mentioned. With that list, I'd like to see the 450 Watt PSU. 400 is passable.

3. Try BIOS defaults.

4. Find and run IEFIX.

5. Latest DirectX.

6. Some onboard sound cards crash like that. What sound card?

7. And then dive into the EVENT VIEWER after a crash. Whats the eventid and source.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Try...

In reply to: Try...

its a 400 watt power supply

the sound card (pci) is a creative soundblaster live 5.1 by creative labs (works great)

where can i find the event viewer?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Event Viewer is noted in Start,Help and Support.

In reply to: Re: Try...

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Event Viewer is noted in Start,Help and Support.

In reply to: (NT) Event Viewer is noted in Start,Help and Support.

thanks

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Event Viewer is noted in Start,Help and Support.

In reply to: Re: (NT) Event Viewer is noted in Start,Help and Support.

this was after using realplayer to try and watch the dvd

source: Application error
Event ID: 1000

Description
Faulting application realplay.exe, version 6.0.12.883, faulting module iviaudio.ax, version 3.1.91.33, fault address 0x00004b85.

if you need more information let me know

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.