Windows 8 forum

Question

Cant play WXP cd in Win8.

by peterd1929 / December 8, 2014 11:58 PM PST

On my old WXP desktop I burnt to a cd the data, images, etc. that I wanted to transfer to my new computer.

I now have a Win8.1 laptop (HP 15-g000na) but I cannot play the cd on it.

Can someone please help as I need some of the stuff that is on the cd? (Notably my Chritmas card mailing list)

Please note that I am new to Windws 8 so the fullest possible instructions and information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Peter.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant play WXP cd in Win8.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant play WXP cd in Win8.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
TRUE!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2014 12:02 AM PST

Since the native XP CD burning apps are rarely used we have to know what app was used. If it's some drag to CD to burn app the session was likely not closed. For that we use ISOBUSTER and hope.

A CD was 700 or less meagerbytes so I can't guess why you didn't send it to DropBox.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Three remarks.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 9, 2014 12:08 AM PST

1. I find a USB-stick a much better way to transfer data than a burned CD. Don't you?
2. We have a proverb here that says "Don't throw away your old shoes until you have new". Applied to this case it's something like "Don't throw away your old computer until you successfully transferred the data to your new one."
3. Where's the backup of your data from the XP desktop?

Too late now, probably. But something to take into account when you buy your next computer to replace your 8.1 laptop. Of course, making a backup of the data on it shouldn't wait till then.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
I always use this in windows
by James Denison / December 9, 2014 3:51 AM PST
Collapse -
Please answer the question.
by peterd1929 / December 11, 2014 3:06 AM PST

Thank you for the information you have given me. However, none of the three replies answers the question that I asked.

I want to know how I can play the disc I recorded on WXP on my Win 8.1 laptop.

How can I do this?

Peter.

Collapse -
You would have to reveal how the disc was created.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2014 3:12 AM PST

I did note ISOBUSTER to break into that old system but maybe it's too technical. So no, without knowing how you made the disc and the software used, there is no direct answer unless we tell you to send it to drivesavers.com to let them recover the data.
Bob

Collapse -
I think Bob might have got this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 11, 2014 3:22 AM PST

His post above, link to it here; http://forums.cnet.com/7726-33042_102-5636611.html

It all depends how you burnt, (copied), the data to the CD from within XP.

1] Closed sessions - The burning process ends with the session being closed. No other data can be written to that session, but that CD can be read by any other computer.

2] Open session - The burning process ends but the software you used did not close the session and the session remains open. This allows other data to be burnt to that CD later if required. BUT only on the computer that performed the open session.

I suspect that your data was burnt/copied using method 2 above, meaning no other computer can read the data stored on that CD. But I don't know that for sure. If so, Bob's suggestion is to try ISOBUSTER.

Open and Closed sessions. This is not a topic that general people generally know about. I know I certainly didn't before I started posting here.

Mark

Collapse -
Agree with you Mark.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 11, 2014 3:27 AM PST

I think the OP needs to "borrow" an XP machine and close the disc.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
A warning.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2014 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Agree with you Mark.

Before they close the disc they must copy what's there out. I've seen media go blank on closing the session. The only good news was ISOBUSTER still was able to reach in but why take the risk?
Bob

Collapse -
I'm not even sure...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 11, 2014 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Agree with you Mark.

I am not even sure that would work.

If I remember rightly, and I can't profess to be 100% sure, the "Open Session" disk prevented any other computer from reading the data on the disk, whether same OS or not.

I'm talking any Windows OS here. I guess Linux would be able to read such disks but again I don't know.

Mark

Collapse -
True.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 11, 2014 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not even sure...

Bob and Mark, I forgot about that been to long off XP.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Now I don't know
by James Denison / December 11, 2014 8:44 AM PST

if you are talking about a music disc or a data disc and yes it makes a difference. You first mentioned data, now talking music, which could be cda files or mp3 and the method of each would be different.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!