Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

cant open attachments to e-mails

I have outlook express on my Dell Demension 4700c and for some reason it has decided not to let me open any attachments on my e-mails. have tried closing spam blockers and nothing has worked. even called my provider and that didnt help . Any sugestion would be greatly appreciated

thanks
1wyofrog

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cant open attachments to e-mails
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cant open attachments to e-mails
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Frog, Have You Tried?

In reply to: cant open attachments to e-mails

If you're using Internet Explorer 6/Outlook Express 6, you might check this.

Open Outlook Express, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Options", then click on the "Security" tab, UNCHECK the box that says: "Don't allow attachments that could be viruses to be saved or opened". Click on "Apply", the OK, etc.

If that doesn't fix the issue, then please tell us the file extensions of the attachments which aren't opening. (The three letters after the dot in the file name, like .txt or .doc.) You may need to install the program which is associated to those file extensions.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Frog, Have You Tried?

the box is unchecked and it didnt make any difference. It seems that most of the messages have an Earthlink mail message . Does that help

Collapse -
What Are The File Extensions Of The Attachments?

In reply to: RE:

And who is your ISP? Were you able to open these same attachments before?

Grif

Collapse -
And tell what happens.

In reply to: RE:

"decided not to let me open" tells practically nothing. In OE the attachements are in a box below the subject line.
- What happens if you doubleclick on one of them?
- What happens if you right click and choose "save attachment"? Can you open it in Windows Explorer then (after going to the folder you saved it in)?
- If you send a harmless email to yourself (use Notepad to create a short text file, and attach that) can you open it after receiving the mail?

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!