Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cant Install XP Home Support is no good?

by spectrakid / January 29, 2009 1:56 PM PST

I have re installed my operating system several times and now when I try and do reinstall it wont allow me to do so. I tried using phone support and it says an error with my program and hangs up on me never allowing me to get to a tech support like it has done in the past years of when this has been done. I checked Microsoft support and they want $70 for email, chat or phone support. This is not good and I need this fixed soon. I have to register operating system with in 5 days. This is on my Laptop Gateway using Windows XP Home. I will not pay $70 to have this fixed and if this is microsofts new way I hope they go out of business. How is this considered support?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant Install XP Home Support is no good?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant Install XP Home Support is no good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You called the wrong company.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 2:10 PM PST

You bought a Gateway and the XP Home that came with it is an OEM version which is cost reduced because Gateway does the support.

Sadly you didn't tell which Gateway model so I can't check if they wrote a how to install XP page.

Again, it may be annoying but those agreements are why you have to be careful who you call.
Bob

Collapse -
by spectrakid / February 2, 2009 11:20 AM PST

Hi, I have a Gateway 6510gz, I got the laptop used and it never came with the complete re install discs. I got an OEM Operating System and installed it on my laptop and tried using the serial number in which is located on the bottom. I have done this on many computers and a few laptops with never a single problem.

Is there a way I can fix this, reinstall it correctly using my own backup disc which I use on all machines?

Thanks!

Collapse -
re:reply
by spectrakid / February 2, 2009 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: reply

Also, the OEM disc in which I installed is the XP Home version.

I will check Gateway support later tonight and get this thing working again.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Link for this laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2009 1:48 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!