Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Cant find 2nd internal drive listed under hard disk drives

by harbinger_60 / June 21, 2010 12:20 PM PDT

I am running windows 7 home 64 bit (build 7600). I have a gateway fx7026. It has two internal hard drives. When I look under device manager they are both listed and they are both listed under the bios menu. When I look in my computer though under hard disk drives it only shows the one that I have the OS on. When I had Vista it showed both of them. Is this something I should be worried about. The drives are listed as WDC WD3200AAJS-22B4A0 DRIVE 1 and WDC WD3200AAJS-22B4A0 DRIVE 0.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant find 2nd internal drive listed under hard disk drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant find 2nd internal drive listed under hard disk drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Missing drive
by Jonmor68 / June 21, 2010 1:51 PM PDT

assign a drive letter to it Device Manager to make it visible.

Collapse -
Assign a letter
by harbinger_60 / June 21, 2010 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Missing drive

How do I assign a drive letter to it. I have looked in device manager but could not find a way to do it.

Collapse -
Drive letter assignment is done elsewhere.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Assign a letter

Look at "Disk Management"

Collapse -
disk managment open
by harbinger_60 / June 22, 2010 12:19 AM PDT

I am in disk managment. Under volumes I see c: and reserved. Under the list of disks in Disk 0 is the reserved drive 100 MB and C: 297.99 NFTS Healthy Boot. Under Disk 1 is Basic 298.09 GB Online and next to it it says 298.09 GB unallocated. How do I set it up so I can assign a drive letter to Disk 1.

Collapse -
"Disk 1 is Basic 298.09 GB Online and next to it it says 298
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2010 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: disk managment open

"Disk 1 is Basic 298.09 GB Online and next to it it says 298.09 GB unallocated."

That means it is currently blank. I re-read your post and can't see where this has any data on it so why not create a partition and let Windows format it?
Bob

Collapse -
Done

I did as you said and set it up. Thanks for the guidance.

Collapse -
how did you create the partition
by dannyhdd / July 4, 2011 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Done

Could you tell me what you did after the last post? I don't know what you did afterward and i really need to know.....Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.