Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cant Deleted Back up

by sportsstud35 / April 25, 2008 2:14 PM PDT

Okay, So i recently had to reinstally windows xp on my gateway laptop, The option I had to save some files I chose, so It created a folder - MY Back up on my C:/ drive. Now That it's been a while I want to delete that folder but it keeps telling me I can't that access is denied. any ideas how to get rid of this folder? It's almost 35 gigs on my 80 gig harddrive

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant Deleted Back up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant Deleted Back up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In user accounts
by Dango517 / April 25, 2008 3:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Cant Deleted Back up

change your account from basic to administrator. This will give you all privileges.

Caution! Are you sure you did this right maybe a few of those files are still working within the OS? If they are and you delete them you'll be re-installing the OS.

This thread untracked.

Collapse -
See if "Taking Ownership" helps.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 8:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Cant Deleted Back up
Collapse -
CAn't do either
by sportsstud35 / April 26, 2008 5:06 AM PDT

I already am the system admin - double checked to be sure, and When I click properties to take ownership there is no security tab like the instructions say. This folder is really hogging alot of space that I could really use.

Collapse -
Can you access or move any files from that folder?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: CAn't do either

What happens when you try to access, (open), any file in that folder.

What happens when you try to move any file?

Mark

Collapse -
Yes and No
by sportsstud35 / April 26, 2008 6:41 AM PDT

I can open some of the folders but when I try to open any of the program short cuts in the programs folder it says that the service is not online and is not accessable,
When I try to open the Owner folder it says access is denied.

Deleting this whole my back up folder shouldn't cause trouble should it?

I need the space for some school programs

Collapse -
"There's no security tab".
by Kees Bakker / April 26, 2008 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: CAn't do either

Maybe you forgot to read this essential instruction from the MS article: "If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode". Did you?

Kees

Collapse -
opps
by sportsstud35 / April 26, 2008 7:58 AM PDT

I missed that, how excatly do i do that now? I've tried a few times and the option won't pop up like it normally does, any back way to it?

Collapse -
still no luck
by sportsstud35 / April 26, 2008 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: opps

So I figured out i was just hitting f7 instead of f8 so i finally got it to safe mode, had 2 profiles(i normally only have one) went in both to change the owenership, tried to deleted and get the same error can't delete owner: access is denied
make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use

Collapse -
I still think it's an ownership issue.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 6:39 PM PDT
In reply to: still no luck

When in Safe Mode you have to follow the procedures exactly as Microsoft lists them in that Knowledge Base article to take ownership of a folder, or folders.

Taking ownership of files seems to be different, in that you do not have to be logged in to Safe Mode, but you must be logged in with an admin account.

What I am not sure about is whether you have to do this for every file and sub-folder within a folder you have just gained access to.

That 2nd Administration Account you saw in Safe Mode is XP Home's hidden Admin account.

If none of that works, then use Google to find a utility called "MoveOnBoot". If you download and install it, it will allow you to move/delete files and folders the next time you reboot the system. But be very careful. This is a powerful utility and you can easily delete folders and files you did not mean to delete. Such folders and files are not retrievable by normal means.

Also, I would ensure that you really do not need these folders before deleting them. Perhaps moving them to a different directory/folder first to test the system would be a good test.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?