HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Applications forum

General discussion

cant delete norton system works

by cortni / January 22, 2005 1:49 AM PST

i have tried mostly everything to delete NSW and NCS, but when i go to do my telus anti-virus scan it stops at the files norton system works and norton clean sweep and goes no further. telus anti-virus and norton do not work together and i need help to know what to do next to get rid of it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cant delete norton system works
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cant delete norton system works
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need more info but here's instructions
by Tufenuf / January 22, 2005 2:40 AM PST
Collapse -
cant delete norton system works
by snoopyjr74 / January 23, 2005 7:11 AM PST

I have spent the last three weekends with the same type problem to include 8 hours talking to India (Symantec Tech support). There are a number of confusing and useless pages on their website to include additional unistall programs that do not work.
My suggestion is (the following assumes you have XP Home or Pro)
1. Delete all the files in all the directories that have Semantic or Norton in their name.
2. Go to Start/run/MSCONFIG/startup tab and unclick all Norton/Symantec related item
3. Go to Start/run/regedit and create a backup copy of your registry by file/export/all
4. Search and delete all the keys that have SEMAN or Norton in them. Some of the keys that are marked legacy wil not be deletable

The bad news is that this will deleted all your Semantec products to include firewalls and antivirus so you need to load replacements before connecting to the intenet.
If you are not comfortble doing any of these steps find someone that is or spend some $ to have a pro do this.

Good luck.

Collapse -
what have you done?
by glb613 / January 23, 2005 7:29 PM PST

I had a Norton suite factory installed on a computer I bought and wanted to uninstall it. I had to go through the add/remove programs, do a search and delete any leftover folders and files plus edit the registry before it was completely gone. What have you done?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.