The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Cant believe they support the Wii so much

by Jrd3478 / September 15, 2006 9:19 AM PDT

They are saying its only $249.99 but what do you get for that, a peice of outdated hardware with a stupid gimic. The Wii is completely overpriced. You have to pay more for the classic controller just to play older games by YOURSELF. The third party games on all consoles will be very bad because if they program a game for the PS3 and XBOX 360 they can just port it over but with the Wii they will have to program it from the ground up. Companies dont want to spend the time and money to program a new game. They will end up creating a really horrible game just so they could say they did not neglect the Wii. The PS3 and 360 cost more but you get much more for your money.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cant believe they support the Wii so much
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cant believe they support the Wii so much
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You forget ...
by Stan0807 / September 15, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

The main idea behind this console was remaking the console for all people to be able to use it. In a family, do you think Mom and Dad mind if the games are not the best quality where you can see every drop of blood of the aliens or every bullet flying out of the gun? Not really. They are more worried about not doubling over in laughter while playing Tennis with their kids. For hardcore knock-em-up gamers, this might not be the best console to get, I know a lot of people will be excited to get there hands on one of these (including me)!

Collapse -
I agree but it's complicated
by MacHugger / September 15, 2006 9:57 AM PDT

I agree with you. I saw the games they were showing for each of the platforms at E3 and the PS3 was (to me) the best looking followed closely by the Xbox and then most of the Wii stuff seemed like plus 0.5 versions of every Donkey Kong like game that there ever was and a sports game or two.

But buyers are a finicky bunch and there is this strange mixture of nostalgia combined with an F-you to Sony and Microsoft and their high price combined with a serious shortage of disposable income this year thanks to $40 per fill-up of gas tanks combined with a little bit of novelty with the wand thing.

So... I think the Wii is the Christmas "must have" item for all of those reasons. Is it the best thing out there? Not by a long shot. But it's resonating well with buyers at the moment for a whole bunch of reasons.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Not in my case
by parcelbrat / September 27, 2006 6:41 PM PDT

I'll agree that I have a FU attitude towards Sony and anything that has Blue Ray or HD-DVD (its optional on xBox 360, so thats okay). But I really am more interested in a Wii than any other because of its capabilities and the idea of being able to play all of the classic games. Who cares if I have to pay more to get them, thats what a free market is about. I don't think that the disposable income arguement is valid, look at the xBox 360, it did fine last year at a high price point. Novelty with the wand == innovation. I happen to think that it is the best of the three.

Collapse -
It is gimicky
by randomearthling / September 15, 2006 10:00 AM PDT

It's no secret the Wii is underwhelming when it comes to processing power. Based on it's specs, it really is just a GameCube on steroids. Developers won't mind making games for it because it's basically the same setup as the GameCube so all they need to do is modify the controls to use the Wii-mote.

However, the whole motion capture aspect is not that appealing. I think it will be neat at first but I don't think the wow factor will last that long. All the local Game Works or Dave & Busters that have the motion capture fighting game used to be filled with people waiting to play when it was new. Now, I rarely see any attempt at it.

My biggest concern with the Wii is a video I saw of a magazine editor playing it at the game show in Germany. It didn't seem to work very well at times and when controls for a game are bad, the entire experience is ruined.

Collapse -
Enough with the bias junk...
by Silvermunkey / September 15, 2006 12:08 PM PDT

You know what if you are just into this because of the hardware and all that matters to you is the numbers, the you obviously don't know crud about the video game market. The Nintendo DS does not pack as much power as the PSP but the PSP cant compete, you want facts here are the facts Nintendo has 80+ percent of the handheld market. In Japan 9 out of the top 10 games are form the Nintendo DS alone at times 10 of 10 are from Nintendo. The Nintendo DS has sold millions more than the PSP in hardware and software world wide. Sure the PSP is superior when it comes to specs but most common folk and a lot of those who have experience are in it for the entertainment which is exactly what gaming is all about. You remember the Sony's UMD movie format it's a failure. Why do I bring Nintendo DS and the PSP up? Simple although the PSP is far more powerful then the Nintendo DS the innovation that the DS bring to games whether its the touch screen or the microphone it just adds to the entertainment not to mention the great quality games it offers. The way the Wii turns out in the end will be similar if not the same as the way the DS has succeeded. Sure I love power but I don't care about the Blu-Ray format six out of the seven TVs I own are from Sony so I don't hate Sony heck even my batteries are form Sony. I own two XBOX 360s did you know most of the games you will be able to get on the PS3 are already on the 360? Did you know most of the games in the future are going to run on the 360 and PS3 so Sony does not have that many exclusive games anymore. So so far the PS3 clearly is the more powerful of the three consoles but I have no need for it, I am going to buy one day but after all the glitches are completely fixed heck I'm going to buy two. If you like power that much check out my PC its 4.1 GHz of dual-core overclocked absolute power. I built it back in December and the only PC that has come sloe to it is the quad-core Mac Pro which I also own quad-sli and the future DX-10 driver my PC can destroy a PS3 like a nuke falling on a guy with a stick as a matter of fact my PC come January will be a generation ahead of the PS3 with the DX-10 and the new Ge-Force 8000+ cards...

Collapse -
Oh yeah I forgot something.....
by Silvermunkey / September 15, 2006 12:18 PM PDT

If you have no experience as to how games are made or Nintendo's game track record the don't comment. Because the Wii is cheaper and will be able to gain market share without any loss like the 360 and the PS3 developers have already said that they are going to support the Wii even more, not only that the fact the games are easier to make on a Wii then a 360 and even a lot easier then on the PS3 developers will be able to make better quality games with less money and that's music to developer's ears. So get the facts straight, At the end ill be looking forward to all three of the consoles.

Collapse -
people dont by a system for teh way stuff looks.
by invalidcookie / September 27, 2006 1:29 PM PDT

people dont by the games for the way they look. they buy them for the playabilty. and i believe that the psp is number 2 to the ds for the simple fact psp doesnt have one game that makes you go, im going to buy psp for this game. were nintendo has alot of games that have that , look at the new super smash bros melee and the promise of super mario 128 , the new legend of zelda. and the new wario warez , think of the game using that control! insane. if ps3 deside okay were going to remake final fantasy 7, then maybe. ill get a ps3 at launch. but thats a maybe, i know for sure im getting a wii at launch simply for super smash bros brawl.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Troll
by Jasmes / September 15, 2006 2:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) the wii rocks
by gmw1955 / September 15, 2006 4:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
I'm sorry...
by rtemp / September 15, 2006 6:12 PM PDT

...that you can't understand that innovation, rather than just simple progression, is something to be praised.

You call the Wii overpriced, but I honestly have no desire to get anything else. I find no appeal to them whatsoever. I would much rather give the Big N $250 for a Wii than $300 for either of the other two machines. I won't do this, as I would rather wait for a few price drops, but you get the idea.

By the way, I'm a life-long gamer. It is my life.

-Ryan

Collapse -
The Facts.
by randomearthling / September 16, 2006 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm sorry...

The Wii will be the lowest priced system on the market. This in no way says that it is a cheap or inferior machine. The XBox 360 and PS3 are expensive machines but they are by no means overpriced. They contain some nice high-end technology so yes, it is going to be expensive.

Graphics are not everything. They help, but some of the best games of all time (Super Mario World, Metroid, Sonic, Final Fantasy VII etc.) are many years old and can't compete with the graphics of today yet they are still incredibly fun.

Selling a system at a loss is not new. The PS2 and I think even the PS1 took a chunk out of Sony's checkbook but I don't think you can call them failures.

Innovation and creativity is what drives the game industry. It's what makes one first-person shooter better than the other. The Wii-mote is extremely innovative but we have to see how accurate and effective it will be. I'll save my judgement until I actually use it.

I am also a long-time, hard core gamer. I still have most of the systems that I have ever owned. The Atari, the original GameBoy, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, N64, Game Cube and PS2. Like most people, I buy what is fun and I'm looking forward to this Christmas.

Collapse -
You should go to:
by coldfusion1787 / September 16, 2006 5:09 AM PDT

System Wars on Gamespot.com . You'll fit right in w/ all the other fanboys.

Collapse -
Im not a fanboy
by Jrd3478 / September 16, 2006 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: You should go to:

Im not a fanboy i have a 360 and I'm getting a PS3 and also play games on my PC and WAS planning on getting a Wii but they are charging way too much for a family game system and are starting to get way to cocky and have no reason to be.

Collapse -
Woah, just take it easy man....
by shantanubala / September 16, 2006 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Im not a fanboy

Jeez. PS3 core system is freaking 500 bucks! 360 Core is 300 (which isn't that bad)

The Wii comes with a Game, it also has the unique controller which will add to the costs. The thing is, most mainstream gamers like to shoot cops in HD, while people who'd rather jump for mushrooms will do so.

Point being, Power isn't everything. Ever played a simple game of cards with a bunch of people? Games aren't about whether you can see the pixels, or whether it's lifelike... It's about having fun! If you aren't having fun, then I think the word game has lost its meaning. Nintendo is trying to make games *more* fun, rather than just being focused on looking at the pretty blood guts and gore from the majority of mainstream games.

Nintendo cocky? They have a right to be. You know what I think is cocky? Expecting people to spend 600 bucks and thinking they'd actually enjoy the hole in their wallet.

250 = a helluva lot better than 600

Where Nintendo didn't give a crap about graphics, they focused on the gameplay. And ultimately, it's you playing the game, not watching it.

-Shantanu

Collapse -
People are willing to pay for power
by Jrd3478 / September 16, 2006 1:38 PM PDT

As the subject title says people are willing to pay for power. Did you see how much people were paying on Ebay for 360's. Also if they would not pay those high prices do you know how many companys would be out of business. Power may not be everything but I can guarantee that the PS3 and XBOX 360 will have more good games.You also stated "most mainstream gamers like to shoot cops in HD" if most people want that then aren't sony and microsoft giving the people what they want.

Collapse -
Yes
by shantanubala / September 16, 2006 2:32 PM PDT

But Nintendo is also giving people what they want. They are aiming at different targets. PS3 and 360 are competitors. The Wii is for a non-mainstream gamer. You just happen to be the target market for the 360/PS3, so you think the Wii is bad, when the Wii really isn't your type of system.

-Shantanu

Collapse -
lol
by invalidcookie / September 27, 2006 1:38 PM PDT

i know alot of people who were trying to ge tthere hands on 360s when they first came out , and it wasnt for the games, it was for software. they were trying to mod the system so that they could be the first ones to do it. because a mod chip turns your normal x box into a media center. streaming movies , loading tons and tons of roms to the hard drive for instant play. downloading homebrew content. and all that. i believe that was alot of the reason around the circle i keep myself in. it wasnt long before someone found a way into the system via flashing the DVD drive. Do you know what they made just on the Flash kit alone?

Collapse -
The bigger Issue
by DSRoyall / September 16, 2006 8:41 AM PDT

The pity is that this discussion is centered on the merits of three over-priced and over-hyped game consoles. In my opinion, CNET has much deeper issues around its dependency on the latest technology hype. Let's ponder that for a second. What would CNET have to ''buzz'' over if the insane flow of new tech toys slowed even slightly? It seems that CNET is in the business of promoting new technology for its own sake whether or not the user experience is enhanced.

I live in Houston, a city far larger than SF. During the waning days of TechTV, I was called to SF for a brief appearance. My 72 hours there hardly made me an expert on the city, but I did come away with a few memorable impressions. Topping off the list were the hordes of homeless wandering around SF. All US cities have some homeless, but they seem to be everywhere in SF. Yes, I can surmise that California's traditional image as the land of unlimited opportunity has a strong connection to the large homeless population, but my point is that's just one of many ways in which SF is quite atypical of the American cities I know. CNET is fundamentally flawed in basing all of its content on the perceptions of people living in one or two relatively tiny geographical areas.

Yes, where you are has a big effect on how a technology affects you--if at all. For example, EV-DO is just now becoming reliable throughout eastern Texas, and I know of no one with the urge for HDTV just yet. Why should I care for a $250 console that cam't even play DVDs? Molly, I dare you to descend out of the technological nose-bleed country that is SF and take a few deep breaths of tech-sanity. You need the head-clearing of a broader focus.

Guys, I wrote this message with a healthy dose of mirth. SF is everything people say it is. Yet, my basic point stands. Your news and commentary would be relavent to more people if it wasn't all SF-based.

Just to show you how lop-sided your viewpoint can be, I bought my PS2 back when the original Xbox came out. I paid $300 at Best Buy, and got 2 controllers and 3 games. The ability to watch DVDs w/out additional hardware was why I chose the PS2 over the Xbox. Now, however, the PS2 collects dust because the gaming experience is much richer on a PC.

Scott

Collapse -
DVD player give me a break....
by Silvermunkey / September 16, 2006 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: The bigger Issue

honestly does anyone need another dvd player? i got 26 dvd burners and 9 dvd player and home theater combinations, who needs one anymore and second its a video game system what more do you want im sick of hearing people cry about how poor they are and how they want a camera a dvd player and even home theater built-in this is a gaming machine you want a dvd player they got a really good one for 19.00 in radio shack seriously video game console are just for that games you judge them on the ability to deliver the game experience and entertainment, if you dont have the cash dont use it as an excuse to throw trash on a system. another thing this is about the nintendo wii not how you view america your a bias jerk trying to pull a fast one. cnet rules!!!

Collapse -
Learn punctuation, please!
by cardsbb9 / September 18, 2006 12:58 AM PDT

WOW was that ever torture to read.

Use periods, two spaces, and capitalization to separate your sentences. And make your sentences group together in paragraphs.

You aren't text-messaging on your cell phone, you are using a keyboard.

Collapse -
IMHO all that won't matter
by acedtect / September 16, 2006 11:21 AM PDT

Pretty much the same thing was said about the GameCube and the Wii surpasses it. Is it as good a box specwise as PS3 or box 360? Nope. But it will have great games and it will be much more within reach for people's pocketbooks.

-Tom

Collapse -
Did you forget
by Jrd3478 / September 16, 2006 11:45 AM PDT

The technology in the Gamecube was much closer to the competition, the controler were similar, and programing it was easy. Also incase you forgot the Gamecube came in LAST last gen.

Collapse -
It seems you have forgotten
by rtemp / September 16, 2006 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you forget

The core technology may have been more similar, but GameCube was still the relative lightweight, plus it lacked "essential features" like DVD playback.

Programming won't be much harder on the Wii, since it is heavily built on the GameCube architecture. The only difference is the controller (basically). By now, the bigger and more excited developers have had the chance to get acquainted with the hardware and adjust accordingly.

Gamecube may be last in terms of marketshare, but it is definitely my favorite console of the X-Box/PS2/GameCube generation. Nintendo has earned a profit off of it, and that is a success to me. I can play my PS2 for a while by myself, but if I'm around my friends, we break out the Cube and have hours upon hours of fun playing the same games we've been playing for the past five years.

-Ryan

Collapse -
PS3 vs XBox360 not PS3 vs Wii
by randomearthling / September 17, 2006 3:52 PM PDT

In all honesty, it's a pretty bad comparison to put the PS3 against the Wii. Just because they are coming out at the same time, it doesn't mean that they are the same thing. Everyone has pretty much said the PS3 is for hard core gamers and the Wii is for family entertainment. The real comparison is the PS3 vs the XBox 360. Both are aimed at hard core gamers and use their technical specs to make the sale. Their prices are also closer and they are offering the same things; big hard drives, HD output, create your own games, extensive online arenas, etc.

The Wii was thrown into the mix because it is a video game system but not really poised to compete head to head technologically with the PS3 and Xbox 360. This in no way means Sony and Microsoft should ignore it but hard core gamers won't even give it a second look regardless of how fancy the controller is.

Collapse -
Out dated my foot
by Ztrl / September 17, 2006 4:35 PM PDT

To power the Wii, Nintendo has taken an interesting approach. Nintendo has focused on building a console that is "more power-efficient, quieter and faster to start" [ref].

According to an article on the IGN Web site, Wii will run "on an extension of the Gekko and Flipper architectures that powered GameCube." The "Broadway", Wii's CPU, which is made by IBM, packs 729MHz of power. Wii will have 24MBs of "main" 1T-SRAM on board, but will also have an additional 64MBs of "external" 1T-SRAM -- for a grand total of 88MBs of RAM [ref].

The graphics processor (code-named "Hollywood") will use an ATI chipset running at 243Mhz with 3 MB of texture memory. It will also have 32 shader pipelines -- 16 fewer than the Xbox 360. However, the Nintendo GPU is capable of running at 500 million triangles per second (100 million sustained) -- roughly equivalent to the Xbox 360. It will also be able to handle 50 billion shader operations per second, which is about the same as the 360 as well.
-------------------------
Nintendo pulled it off, the Wii console will have all the firepower of Xbox 360 and much simpler architecture that makes life easier for software developers.

So the Xbox 360 is outdated as well?

Collapse -
Did you miss something
by Jrd3478 / September 18, 2006 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Out dated my foot

Assuming what you said is correct, the graphics may be only a a litte bit worse spec wise but it still cant do HD. The CPU is extremely lacking since the 360's is faster and it has three cores. The RAM is only 88MBs and the 360 has 512 MB. So even though the graphics may be similar, the rest of the system is bottlenecked so performance will be much worse.

Collapse -
And you seem to over lock other things
by Azuremen / September 27, 2006 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you miss something

The Xbox 360 may have a faster processor and more ram, but ram access time is also important. Last I checked, the Wii uses significantly faster RAM.

You can process data quickly, but if you can't access it fast enough, its pointless.

Collapse -
Hardcore gamers
by parcelbrat / September 27, 2006 6:59 PM PDT

It seems as if most hardcore gamers will be getting all of the systems, thats what makes them hardcore. What is going to make a difference in marketshare and penetration is the family and similar gamers. I think the Wii will shine there.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bill Gates? Is that you?
by csliva11 / September 17, 2006 11:19 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.