Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cant access xp

dont know what happened was using computer last night and shut it down for the night. now when i try to load windows it goes right up to where the login/welcome screen should be and then automatically reboots, and just keeps on doing this without end. any thoughts
?

bryan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cant access xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cant access xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couple of things

In reply to: cant access xp

1/ At boot press F8 then select safe mode - run virus and spyware programs - if nothing found then in msconfig select diagnostics mode and reboot
2/Next try F8 at boot then select last known good
3/ If still nothing, then F8 select safe mode then select a restore point.

Get back to us if the above doesn't get any results
Peter

Collapse -
still nothing

In reply to: Couple of things

tried to enter safe mode, but i am still getting a blank screen. very troubling.

Collapse -
Now the power of the command line.

In reply to: still nothing

"Safe Mode with Command Prompt (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal(AlternateShell)): This option is the same as Safe mode, except that Cmd.exe starts instead of Windows Explorer."

If you can make it there, we can CD to Windows\System32 where RSTRUI is and run that.

Bob

Collapse -
still nothing

In reply to: Now the power of the command line.

not letting me do anything. very frustrating, wish i knew what happened. i've tried every option under F8 and it goes up to the windows loading screen then goes to a black screen then reboots each time.

Collapse -
And next.. A repair install.

In reply to: still nothing

Your posts have not revealed much about the machine or OS. But the next step is the Repair install.

At least you backup what you can't lose.

Bob

Collapse -
reinstall?

In reply to: And next.. A repair install.

ok so i have xp with sp2, but what do you mean by repair install? is that something i can do or something that someone else needs to do?

bryan

Collapse -
Lack of details are going to hamper us here.

In reply to: reinstall?

Collapse -
ok

In reply to: Lack of details are going to hamper us here.

what kind of details are you looking for?

Collapse -
one more thing before repair

In reply to: ok

see this link:-
http://www.pegasus-ofs.com/eSupport/using_CHKDSK.htm
Essentially run chkdsk /r /f from the command prompt before entering the system (you can do this from your installation disk using the recover console)- I believe this can also fix some systems programs if they are corrupted (never tried it though)
If this doesn't help then do a repair installation as Bob has suggested
I assume you have the windows original XP installation disk with SP2 included - correct? not just the sp2 update disk from Microsoft.

If correct - from here it is simple
1/ Boot to your CDROM with the XP disk - if your system doesn't give you the option if a bootable cd is install change the boot sequence in the bios (ie
reboot and press DEL to enter the bios)
3/Follow the prompts to do a "repair" NOT reinstall - JUST a repair - this way only systems programs are repaired.
Let us know how you go
Peter

Collapse -
Let's start with..

In reply to: ok

The note you see in red letters: "Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. "

I've dropped hints that details about your OS CD may affect what we can accomplish. It does matter.

Try that CHKDSK item and see if that helps.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.