Camcorders forum

General discussion

Canon ZR 200 tape to card transfer help

by backtalk / June 11, 2007 12:59 AM PDT

I don't have a way to transfer video from my Canon zr200 tape to my pc. I can transfer from the card. How can I transfer the recorded movies from the 200 tape to the 200 card so it can be transfered to my pc?
Thank you, Jess

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon ZR 200 tape to card transfer help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon ZR 200 tape to card transfer help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It would be best for you to add a
by boya84 / June 11, 2007 1:26 AM PDT

FireWire (also known as IEEE1394 or iLink) port to you computer. You would then use the DV port on the computer and a FireWire cable for transfer. That's what the instructions are for starting on page 87 of the manual. If you don't have the manual, down load it from canon.com

FireWire cards are cheap.

You can try following the instructions for "Recording from a tape in the camcorder starting on page 94 or 97 ("Recording movies on a memory card")... Please note the indications, "With multimedia cards, the recording time is limited to 10 seconds in 320 x 240 pixels and 30 seconds in 160 x 120 pixels"... my take is the quality will be pretty bad, too... and nowhere near the quality available from the FireWire transfer method. Editing will be a challenge, too.

Collapse -
firewire
by backtalk / June 11, 2007 1:43 AM PDT

I have the firewire but no place to pluge it into the pc. Where do I put the cadr?

Collapse -
SInce I don't know what kind of
by boya84 / June 11, 2007 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: firewire

computer you are using, it is difficult to say.

Apple Macintosh computers have included FireWire400 ports as standard for several years. Traditional Windows hardware manufacturers are just now starting to include it. If you don't have a FireWire port, you should be able to add one. This is not an ad for Fry's but an example for FireWire cards. http://shop2.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=1394+card&cat=0&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

What do you mean, "I have the FireWire"? Do you have a cable that can use the camcorder's DV port? Did that cable come with the camera or did you get it separately?

Collapse -
FireWire
by backtalk / June 11, 2007 2:41 AM PDT

The cable came with the cam. for the dv port

Collapse -
According to the Canon site...
by boya84 / June 11, 2007 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: FireWire
Collapse -
Ok
by backtalk / June 11, 2007 3:17 AM PDT

I bought the firewire with the camera, the usb cable came with the camera. Sorry I got that confused. It seems like I may have you up set in trying to help me. Allow me to cut my losses here and try another rout.

Collapse -
You do not have me upset.
by boya84 / June 11, 2007 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok

But it does help when you reply to questions that are asked. Since I don't know what you have and I cannot see what you can see, it is a challenge to answer certain questions or provide suggestions in response to your questions.

Collapse -
You still have not told us
by boya84 / June 11, 2007 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: FireWire

what computer you are using.

If your computer also does not have USB, you may have CPU or hard drive issues trying to edit Video...

So... one more time... What kind of computer do you have? And how much available hard drive space do you have? Video (even standard definition) uses a lot of space... How much RAM do you have? What are you expecting to edit your video with?

Planning ahead - and looking at what you want to do with what you have will be a lot easier if you look more than 1 step ahead.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?