Question

Canon XL1 froze up from Firewire connection?

I connected my XL1 to my windows7 64-bit computer via 1394 and now the XL1 just shows a "no mini-DV loaded or mini-DV locked" icon in the viewfinder. I'm afraid I fried it, perhaps by using a firewire cable that is non-Canon? Any input on my best way forward would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
--Dave

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Canon XL1 froze up from Firewire connection?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Canon XL1 froze up from Firewire connection?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Here

One firewire cable is like the next. Check the manual for any resets available and try them. Canon still repairs this camera.

Why do you think you fried it? Did you do something new? Did smoke roll out?
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
A firewire cable is a firewire cable.

IEEE1394 standard specifies the various requirements. It is possible that the camcorder's firewire port got fried if the computer was on and the firewire was connected to the computer and the camcorder was on when the firewire cable was inserted or removed from the camcorder. This can also happen if both devices are on and the computer-side firewire port is a 4-pin firewire port - the "shorting" issue seems more common with the 4-pin connectors than the larger 6-pin or 9-pin connectors.

- Collapse -
Answer
Response to input on XL1 Froze from Firewire connection?

Bob, thanks for the input. To answer your questions:
Why do you think you fried it? After plugging the firewire cable into the XL1 and turning on the XL1 the computer made the normal noise indicating new hardware was found. I opened Adobe Premiere Pro (CS5) to begin capturing video and no device was recognized. I turned the camcorder on and off to try to get it to register. Eventually, I turned it off and unplugged the firewire cable. From then on, the camcorder displayed the "no mini-DV loaded or mini-DV locked" icon. I should say that all other functions work (lens zoom, opening/closing the mini-DV tape). However, I can't get any of the VCR controls to work (since the unit doesn't think there's a casset) and I can't record (same reason). So, the only thing new I did was to connect the camcorder to the computer for the first time. There was definitely no smoke. Bottom line, "fried" may not be the right word.
Boya84, thanks for your input as well.
Although it's not mentioned in the XL1 instruction manual, I did try to be careful not to plug the firewire cable into the camcorder while it was turned on. It is possible the firewire cable is bad and I can replace it (with the Canon firewire cable, which the instructions say to use). I had just installed the firewire port on my computer and a note following the installation said everything was working properly, so I think the port itself is good. My real focus is the problem with the camcorder indicating it doesn't sense a casset and so not being able to record or use the camcorder vcr controls. Also, I haven't found any camera resets (a great tip, wish it had one).
Again thanks. Still looking for a solution. I plan to send it in for repair tomorrow, though I hate the thought of what that will cost.
--Dave

- Collapse -
a different "bottom line"?

You said, "I had just installed the firewire port on my computer" - has importing using firewire ever worked with this configuration? If no, what brand firewire card did you install?

CNET Forums