General discussion

Canon Vixia HV30 HD battery info

First time buyer - I plan on ordering this camera tomorrow. I am going on vacation. I am tyring to understand the battery.

This battery comes with it. BP-2L13 Battery Pack
How long will this battery last for video? for photos?
aLSO I want to buy an additional battery to take to make sure I will always be ready when I am out on tours and want to know what is the max battery that I could get and is there a generic brand I could get that would be less expensive & work just as well. Would the 2nd battery have a different model number it is has a longer time on it?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Canon Vixia HV30 HD battery info
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Canon Vixia HV30 HD battery info
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Short answers:
How long will this battery (BP-2L13) last for video? for photos?
At the camcorder's product page at Canon.com, there is a "Downloads" tab. Download the manual. "Best case" battery life is usually in there. My guess is 20 minutes for HDV video recording. Where do you start the "time" for the photos? Power up, take the picture... power down? Take lots of pictures before power down? Best not to use photos use for battery life on a camcorder.

aLSO I want to buy an additional battery to take to make sure I will always be ready when I am out on tours and want to know what is the max battery that I could get and is there a generic brand I could get that would be less expensive & work just as well.
Good idea with the additional high capacity battery. I get the ones from the manufacturer - they cost more, but I know they will work. I do not recommend the third party batteries. I get two high capacity batteries - one is charging while the other is in use. I rarely use the one that came with the camcorder.

Would the 2nd battery have a different model number it is has a longer time on it?
Yes. The Canon web site will have different part numbers for each different optional battery depending on the camcorder it is used for and the charge time.
- Collapse -
Battery

boya84
Thanks for the reply. Ok I can always use my Canon powershot for still photos then. So 20 min is not long at all. How much time will I get on the high capacity battery then?
Thanks

- Collapse -
It depends on the battery

and your usage pattern/habits like whether the camcorder times out or you power-down, whether the LCD panel is used - even temperature has an impact (colder reduces record time), but longer than the one in the box...

Link to the HV30's manual:
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0300000884/hv30nim-en.pdf
See page 19.

- Collapse -
battery

boya84
thanks !

- Collapse -
Battery

any suggestions for a charger I can purchase I am wondering if there is one that is cheaper than Canon's to use for the aditional battery whether I get a BP-2L24H or a BP-2L14.
Thanks

- Collapse -
When I travel,

and capture video, so far it has been good enough to charge over night. In the camcorder.

I have only once in about 4 years have had to charge while capturing video - on a shoot doing a music video and we started at 7am and finished near midnight... while one battery was in use, the other was charging. I did not want to be tied down by using the AC adapter directly into the camcorder.

What I have found is that the camera is about 1/2 the $ equation. Add a wide angle lens, a tele lens, an external mic (and the bracket and shock mount) and one or two high capacity batteries, a decent tripod, video light and a good sturdy case and you basically ended up spending the same amount as the camcorder... Guess where they REALLY make their money? (Hint: I don't think it is on the camcorder.)

But, to answer your question, I think you are a lot safer with a third party charger (than a third party battery), but that is just my opinion...

- Collapse -
Battery charger

Thanks boya84 for the info....Yes I did plan to buy a Canon battery to be on the safe side but I was looking for suggestions on a non-Canon (third party) battery charger that folks have used with no problems or issues.
Thanks

CNET Forums