Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon Vixia HFS10 Memory Problem

by TheMightyDixon / November 20, 2010 1:50 AM PST

I just cleared all files from the internal memory of my Canon Vixia HFS10, and I still only have 30 minutes of recording left in the 24mbps mode. This is odd considering:
-I have reset the camera to factory defaults
-I have connected it to my computer and still there are no files in the camera's internal memory storage folders.
I usually have just over 2 hours of recording in this mode, now I only have 30 minutes. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Vixia HFS10 Memory Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Vixia HFS10 Memory Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bumpity
by TheMightyDixon / November 20, 2010 12:51 PM PST

Bump Bump

Collapse -
do u currently
by chickenorfish / November 20, 2010 4:07 PM PST
In reply to: Bumpity

do u currently have a sdhc in the slot?

Collapse -
Nope
by TheMightyDixon / November 21, 2010 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: do u currently

I've just been using the internal memory.

Collapse -
Anybody?
by TheMightyDixon / November 28, 2010 10:35 AM PST
In reply to: Nope

Does anyone have some advice?

Collapse -
In your original post
by boya84 / November 28, 2010 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: Anybody?

you said, "just cleared all files from the internal memory". Did you do that from the camcorder or using the computer?

How did you "reset to factory defaults"?

Have you tried "initializing" the internal memory?
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300001969/02/hfs10-s100-nim01-en.pdf
Page 42 & 43 (for the warning about losing the music files).
This *could* wipe any audio file used for start-up and other camcorder system sounds. Be careful when doing this. See page 184 for additional WAV file information.

I have an HF S100. I have not had the issue you report (I use only added memory) - but in addition to the various media files, there are some "index" files which keep track of the recorded media files. If the media files were cleared by computer, the index files would not know to update. This "index file" is what allows the camcorder's index screens to work properly. With your computer, have you checked the camcorder's internal memory to see if there are any "invisible files"?

Collapse -
Yep that worked
by TheMightyDixon / November 29, 2010 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: In your original post

Yeah I had deleted the files off of the computer, which must have screwed things up. I initialized the memory like you said, and I have my 3 hours of record time again. Thanks for the help man!

Collapse -
Woohoo!
by boya84 / November 29, 2010 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: Yep that worked

You're welcome.

Here's a possibility:

When you delete the clips in the camcorder using the computer rather than the camcorder, there is an index file used by the camcorder's "operating system" which keeps track of the video, audio and still image files. Since the computer did the deletion (did you empty the trash or just drag the files to the trash?) the index file does not know what to do. It is this index file that allows the camcorder's interface through the LCD panel to let you select the various files for whatever you want to do with them. When you skip the camcorder's proper steps for file deletion, the index file does not get updated correctly and keeps growing... but that's just my interpretation. I could be way off.

Thanks for letting us know your camcorder memory is back.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!