Resolved Question

Canon VIXIA HF R800 vs Sony HDR-CX405

I just can't understand this. I've looked at comparisons, but I don't understand why Vixia would be considered a better camera than the Sony 405. The 405 has a better resolution sensor, more mega pixels, and functions much better in low light situations.

Can anyone tell me why Vixia would be considered better?

Comparison Sites I've looked at:

BHPhotovideo: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Sony_HDR-CX405_vs_Canon_HF_R800/BHitems/1109390-REG_1308395-REG

Bestadvisor: https://www.bestadvisor.com/camcorders/canon-vixia-hf-r800-vs-sony-hdrcx405

Post was last edited on July 10, 2019 10:33 AM PDT

Discussion is locked
Raythin has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Canon VIXIA HF R800 vs Sony HDR-CX405
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Canon VIXIA HF R800 vs Sony HDR-CX405
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Keeping it simple.

Some folk are looking at other areas when determining "best." So you have to ask the author why they did that. Sometimes it's for social or smart features over WiFi, or ease of use over low light.

Since you know what you want (low light) you pick the winner.

- Collapse -
Re: Keeping it simple.

That's fair. I just was unsure that I might be missing something. Am I wrong in the assumption that in the comparison of video quality and sensor resolution, Mega Pixels, that if I wanted to shoot good footage in "Classrooms" which will mostly have poor/decent light quality. The 405 is a the best choice?

- Collapse -
Since you are focused on low light

It may be the winner.

Terfyn has noted a few times the following:
"My experience is with Panasonic so I suggest the HC-VX1 or the HC-VXF1.
Both my HC-V750 and V800 (both HD) perform very well in low light. All the detail is recorded an it just requires a "brightness lift" in my video editor to enhance the picture."

I'd compare these to your Sony choice.

- Collapse -
You get what you budget for.

Hope it's good enough. I would not buy more than one till you test it out.

- Collapse -
re: You get what you budget for.

Touche.

I've actually already tested out the R800. We used this camera last year. It worked out well. However, every year I like to search out new options and found the HRD405 and it's bundle and got excited. I'll have to check it out then. Thanks for your help.

- Collapse -
Didn't want that to sting.
- Collapse -
Ounch Lol

You're under the assumption that everyone has a smartphone and I'd guess you don't have many elementary school teacher friends haha. My company works with teachers from various school and districts. Not all teachers are phone or tech-savvy. Some teachers are so set in their ways, they still have a flip phone!!!

We have to review hundreds of classroom videos of teachers (usually a classroom lesson around 1 hour long), and we don't want to have ****** handshake phone videos or various qualities of videos.

In effort to make sure the recordings of teaching practices are at a consistent quality, we purchase these cameras for the teachers. We provide tripods as well and offer a lite videography lesson at the beginning of the year training session.

- Collapse -
Just here and there.

While in Boston, mostly smart phones and now in San Diego, all smart phones.

The tripod and video stabilization is noted in the CNET video.

- Collapse -
re: Since you are focused on low light

Thanks Profft.

The HC-V750 and V800 are both 400-500 dollar camera's whereas the Canon VIXIA HF R800 vs Sony HDR-CX405 are both available for 218 included a nice bundle with 32Gb Micro SD card, chargers, bag, ect. ( https://tinyurl.com/yxmewmeh )

I'm purchasing these cameras for a bunch of teachers. So I need it to be in line with our budget. $218 for everything we'd need is a bargain deal. Just need to decide which camera offers the most value for our needs, which are again namely:

1. Video Quality
2. Low Light Leveraging
3. Decent Internal Microphone

Post was last edited on July 10, 2019 10:10 AM PDT

CNET Forums