Cameras forum

Question

Canon T3 or a Lumix SLR-Like (compact system)

by rmbonetti / May 30, 2012 9:12 AM PDT

I am always very frustrated with the quality and zoom of the pictures from my Lumix P&S. I want to be able to take pictures of the family and our adventures. I also would like to start taking more nature photography. I know that I want a Compact System (SLR-like) or a DSLR. I cant spend over $600 so I cant spend a lot on the body without it including a lense. Sams Club has the T3 with 2 lenses and a case for $599. I like the idea of the SLR- like ones because they are smaller and lighter and simpler to use. This needs to be simple for me or I wont end up using the camera. I want to be able to have a very good zoom, take videos, and take action shot of the kids playing sports. Even if I go with a compact system one I have no idea which one. I do want one with a view finder which the Lumix have and they are rated well on consumer reports.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon T3 or a Lumix SLR-Like (compact system)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon T3 or a Lumix SLR-Like (compact system)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
re: Canon T3 or a Lumix SLR-Like (compact system)
by MarkatNite / May 30, 2012 11:52 AM PDT

Almost every camera has an auto-mode which should be easy to use. The catch is that they don't always take the best pictures. So it would help if you could tell us which Lumix P&S you currently have, how you're using it (more specifically than "family adventures"--which could be anything from posing with Mickey at Disneyland at noon to zip-lining down Fremont Street in Vegas at night--and "kids playing sports"--which could be a 6-year-old playing T-ball to a 16-year-old playing indoor club volleyball), and what you find frustrating about it. (Some example pics with EXIF data--e.g. posted on Flickr--would be extremely helpful.)

Mark

Collapse -
Lumix DMC-FS15
by rmbonetti / May 30, 2012 12:58 PM PDT

It doesnt zoom enough and blurs very easily!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Clarification
by PistonCupChampion / May 30, 2012 12:19 PM PDT

When you say SLR-like and compact system, do you mean a superzoom camera like the FZ150, or do you mean a compact interchangeable lens camera like the G3?

The FZ150 would give you a lot of optical reach, more than even than the T3 with the two lens kit. But at its core, it is no better than a P&S, because the sensor inside is identical. What that means in practical terms is that it will work fine outdoors, but indoors it will be only fair if not poor, especially if you need indoor action photos.

The G3 will be closer in performance to the T3, but it is $550 with the kit lens. Adding a second telephoto lens would cost about $300.

NO camera will give you better performance automatically; you can't rely on the camera to always give you the photo you want by just pressing the shutter button. Whatever you end up with will require you to learn the basics of exposure.

Collapse -
FZ150 and G3
by rmbonetti / May 30, 2012 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

I was actually looking into both of them. I am just not sure what is best for me. If I got the G3 would I need to buy a second lense? Does the Canon T3 that comes with 2 lenses at Sams club for $599 seem to be the better way to go. Can you take video with it?

Collapse -
DMC-G3
by PistonCupChampion / May 30, 2012 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: FZ150 and G3

The G3 only comes with a 14-42mm lens. That translates to an equivalent 28-84mm, or wide angle to a short telephoto. That is less range than you FS15, which has an equivalent 29-145mm range. Adding the 45-200mm lens would give you an equivalent 90-400mm.

The T3 is certainly cheaper. Image quality is about the same. The T3 has more potential performance because of a deeper available system, and the optical viewfinder and phase detection autofocus is better for sports/action. The G3 will have the advantage shooting video, with full HD, the articulated LCD, and touch focus.

Collapse -
Narrowed it down now
by rmbonetti / May 30, 2012 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: FZ150 and G3

It is between the Nikon Coolpix P510 or the Panasonic Lumix FZ150

Collapse -
FZ150
by PistonCupChampion / May 30, 2012 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Narrowed it down now

The Panasonic wins if you want to more control, the P510 wins if you want more gadgets. If you want to shoot in auto mostly, you may want to look at the Sony HX200V.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?