Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon SX120 IX trimming

by dani_nyc / January 10, 2010 6:47 AM PST

I need to know if the camera Canon SX120-IS has the trimming function, cause i just can't find it!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon SX120 IX trimming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon SX120 IX trimming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps you mean "crop"
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 10, 2010 8:21 AM PST

To crop is to draw a rectangle around the part of a photo you want to keep and the "crop" will delete everything outside of the rectangle.

Much like a digital zoom.

If that is what you mean by trimming, Canon does not offer that option on any of its cameras.

It is easily accomplished by using software.
Irfanview is an excellent free software package that you can download.
You open the photo with Irfanview, use the mouse button to draw a rectangle around the area of the photo that you want to keep.
Click on: Edit and then Crop.

If my assumption is wrong, please explain what "trimming" means.

Collapse -
Perhaps you mean "crop"
by russ4j / March 22, 2012 4:07 AM PDT

You are so wrong dude! I hope before you try and correct this person, try to research what he's talking about.
"Trimming" is one of the play menu functions in certain Canon digital cameras. I'm sure he understands what "cropping" means but because he was certain about what he was looking for, hence, he used the RIGHT term. I myself wants to know what Canon models carry this functions because it is a very important tool and not all models have it which is unfortunate. My Canon 8 megapixels Powershot SD1100IS has this function but most of its successors don't. If anybody out there could provide a complete list of Canon models with "trimming" function, please reply. Thanks

Collapse -
Trimming is usually for video work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2012 4:14 AM PDT

Since this post is in the Digital Camera forum, you would be talking about photos. There is a Camcorder forum for video work.

You do ask a good question. And here's my thought on the matter.

If a maker won't answer your question, why buy their stuff?
Bob

Collapse -
FWIW
by PistonCupChampion / March 22, 2012 4:31 AM PDT

I looked at the manual for the SD1100 IS. Indeed, Canon has a trimming function...but it is just cropping. Why they called it trimming instead of the conventional and accepted term of cropping is a mystery.

I have no idea if current Canon cameras offer such a feature; I have never seen the feature mentioned in reviews. My guess is no, because it is commonly done on a PC anyway.

Collapse -
To: russ4j - Old Question - Old Thread
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 22, 2012 6:04 AM PDT

The original question was asked in January of 2010 (over 2 years ago).

I doubt that dani_nyc is still around to see your reply.

Your reply was not helpful for me.
I still don't know what he means by "trimming function"
if his meaning is something other than "crop".

Regarding your use of the word "dude"

I don't meet the requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude

Collapse -
old question-old thread
by russ4j / March 22, 2012 6:14 AM PDT

Suit yourself...dude! Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.