Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon SD500 Vs. Casio Z750

I have been trying to decide on a camera for sometime now and have just about narrowed it down to either the SD500 or the Casio Z750. Does anyone have any reccommendations about these or other cameras I should be looking at(maybe the Powershot A90). Im having a hard time making a final decision and would appreciate some help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon SD500 Vs. Casio Z750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon SD500 Vs. Casio Z750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon SD500 - Casio Z750

In reply to: Canon SD500 Vs. Casio Z750

Wow - This will be a difficult decision.

Their specifications are almost identical.

One thing really stands out for the Casio.
It has manual controls for:
Aperture priority
Shutter priority
Manual mode
....Who said you couldn't put manual controls in a tiny camera?

When I compare photos taken of the same subject, the Canon produces the sharper photo.
That does not say the Casio photo is bad...because it isn't. It is just that when you look at similar photos at full size I can see a slight difference.
At full size I am comparing minute details.
At less than full size, I can see no difference.

The Casio has the larger LCD screen 2.5 inches compared to 2.0 for the Canon.

The Canon has the stronger flash.
16.4 feet compared to 9.5 feet for the Casio.

The Casio has the least amount of shutter lag.
0.1 second compared to 0.5 second for the Canon.

I am glad you have to make the decision instead of me.

As far as the Powershot A90 - I guess you mean A95 because Canon never made an A90.

The A95 has the lowest price of the three.
It has manual controls.
It is a bit larger that the other two.
The photo sharpness is just about the same as the Casio Z750.
The Z750 photo shows more detail than the A95 due to having more megapixels.

Let us know what you choose.

Collapse -
Canon SD500

In reply to: Canon SD500 - Casio Z750

Hi! I just got a Canon SD500 and I love it. no complaints what so ever. Friends not believing that I am taking the shots when they first see them because they look so professional. Good luck with your choice

Collapse -
Canon

I'm on my 3rd Canon in 35 years and will stick with them as long as they maintain their lens quality and are competitive in all other categories. Their lens systems have always been considered among the best and the pictures back this up. All other components being equal, the Canon optics will always tip the scale - very long term high quality consistancy. The "A" series cameras are great, but the batteries in the "S" seies last one heck of a lot longer and are rechargeable.

Collapse -
Canon SD500 vs. Casio Z750

After a LOT of investigation, I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices as well, and am similarly looking for responses.

Collapse -
win/win

I was in the same predicament a few weeks ago. My opinion is that it's a win/win situation, no matter which camera you decide. Both are very, very good and will please anyone who is looking for an ultracompact camera with good image quality and ease of use.

I had the benefit of having 2 friends, one with the canon sd500 and the other with the casio z750. So I played around with both of them. In the end, I went with the Casio. I found it slightly more pocketable and I enjoyed the manual controls, which were very easy to learn and once slightly tweaked, nearly match the Canon's image quality. Out of the box, I would say the Canon's picture quality was initially better. But once tweaked, the quality is nearly identical. Some sticklers might like the Canon better, but the difference is so small that it really didn't weigh into my decision. In the end, I was more comfortable with the Casio in my pocket and i liked the larger LCD screen.

This is my first digital camera, so i wanted something easy to use, with great picture and movie quality, and portability.

I have had no problems with the Casio and am very impressed with the quality of the pictures. Makes me feel like a professional! I have no qualms about recommending this to camera to anyone.

If I had to do it all over again, I still would get the Casio, but if for some reason I could only get the Canon, I would certainly not be disappointed in the slightest.

Hope that helps a bit.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!