Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon SD500 or Nikon 7900

by Kamla_Anda / June 22, 2005 5:14 AM PDT

I'm new to the digital age of cameras and have been spending some time now looking at digital cameras and looking over reviews and reading up in the forums of several sites. The problem is I still haven't found any conclusive answer to which camera is better, the Canon SD500 or the Nikon 7900.

The reason I?m looking at these two is that I like the small size of both, the design and style. There look easy to carry around any wear and seem to be the best when it comes to this size of camera. I need something that I?ll be able to use down the road, something that takes great photos in all the usual environments, like action shots, day/night shots for outdoors/indoors portraits and landscapes, and dimly lighted evening parties. Since I am a novice and this camera will also be used by others in my family I would like it to be simple to use, for example just leaving it in auto and letting the camera take care of it all.

The problem is that from what I have read, the Nikon 7900 has a problem with low light photos but otherwise is a great camera with unique features like Face Priority AF, Red-Eye Fix, Blur warning, and D-Lighting. With the Canon SD500 I have read that some people have had problems with its LCD cracking and whining during movies and a few posts of it not doing well in dim light. I don't know of any unique features with the SD500 but do know that it is of good quality and it takes great photos.

I was hoping someone with either of the cameras could highlight the pro's/con's that they have found while using the camera, and/or someone comparing them for me. You see all I?ve been able to get so far from others posts that have asked this question is referral to other cameras:
The Fugi f10, seems a little bulky, and seems more towards the manual side of things compared to auto but does look like it takes great photos.
A couple of Sony's, the W7 and P200, both of which I don?t like the shape or style, and in image quality they seem to be below the Canon SD500 or the Nikon 7900.
The Olympus c-7000 again too bulky for me to carry around.

I don't mind paying more, I?d even pay 100 or more then the SD500, but I want a camera that can do what I need it do without shortcomings that would be noticeable to me. For example I don't need video, so if the video is inadequate I don't mind. If there is another camera that you think fits my needs please help me out by directing me there. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon SD500 or Nikon 7900
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon SD500 or Nikon 7900
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SD600 - Nikon 7900
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 8:47 AM PDT

As you have discovered, there is no perfect camera.

Both produce excellent photos.

As for low light photography:

Point-and-shoot cameras are not suited to low light situation (when not using flash).

A camera with manual controls has a better chance, but you will have to use the manual controls to pull it off.

For low light, you should take another look at the Fujifilm F10. They have been working on a different type of sensor for several years now.

And from some reviews I read, it looks like they have succeeded in producing a sensor that has low noise when increasing the ISO. Which you need to do in low light.

They even have a setting as high as ISO 1600, which is unheard of in any camera below a DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera.

That would be like having an f1.4 lens AND the ability to increase the shutter speed by two stops.

It should work well in most evening parties (without a flash).

Collapse -
without flash?
by Kamla_Anda / June 22, 2005 2:59 PM PDT
In reply to: SD600 - Nikon 7900

How bout with the flash? Would either camera be fine with the flash... and if so which one would perform better if any?

I understand that the F10 takes great photos in lowlight, as well in other conditions, but it doesn't have a view finder and I don't want to be in a position where I need to take a shot and I can't see what I?m shooting. I?ll take another look at the F10 though before I make up my mind.

So about the cons with the SD500 I posted in my first message, would they be a reason to be worried bout getting one?

Collapse -
With Flash
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: without flash?

If you are doing low light shots with flash, then just about any camera can do that.

But there is a limit:

The Canon SD500 is rated for:
16.4 feet if you are not using any optical zoom.
9.8 feet if you are using optical zoom.

The Nikon 7900 is rated for:
14.8 feet if you are not using any optical zoom.
11.5 feet if you are using optical zoom.

If you are beyond those distances from your subjects, you will get a dark photo.

As far as the reports on Canon camera failures,
the jury is still out on that.

Collapse -
thank you
by Kamla_Anda / June 23, 2005 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: With Flash

I think I?ll try out the Nikon 7900 (by try out, I mean pick it up locally and then return it) to see how it handles. It?s much cheaper and its batteries are also bout half the price of the canons from what I?ve seen.

Thank you for clarifying that and I?ll make sure to post my findings on whatever camera I decide to get.

Collapse -
Sounds Like a Plan
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 23, 2005 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

Do report back.

We want to know what you think of the camera too.

First hand information is always welcome.

Collapse -
Canon PowerShot SD500
by DarkPhalanx / June 24, 2005 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds Like a Plan
Collapse -
Did you get answer?
by Sam_UNC / June 22, 2005 3:02 PM PDT

I have the same question. I hope someone answers you.

Collapse -
Nikon Coolpix 7900
by Lorsieann / June 23, 2005 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you get answer?

I recently purchased the Nikon Coolpix 7900 and am absolutely delighted with the camera. Is it my 5th digital camera purchase and the best so far. I am a novice, really don't know what I'm doing (although I have a lot of fun), but consistently get great pictures with the Nikon 7900. I am very pleased with the camera and would highly recommend it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.