Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon SD450 -> XPSP2 picture transfer problem

by rcil2003 / May 24, 2006 11:38 AM PDT

My problem is simply that when connecting the camera to the USB and turning it on, I see "Canon SD450" appear in the "Scanners and Cameras" window. However, a couple of seconds later, the camera powers itself off, and "SD450" disappears out of the "Scanners and Cameras" window. The "Autoplay" window then pops up, but with no programs listed in it.

- Camera battery is fully charged, the camera works perfectly and I can take pictures OK
- All latest Canon software is installed
- USB ports are all fully working (I can connect a mouse to them with no problem)
- I am logged on as administrator
- THe computer has USB 2.0 ports
- No errors recorded in Windows event viewer

I have had zero success looking on Google and Canon's website has a step by step process I would like to follow, if only I could persuade the camera to remain powered up while connected to the computer.

There is a fix floating around to do with modifying a registry setting, but my registry is set correctly. Another fix suggests removing RealPlayer, which I have done.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful to hear them!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon SD450 -> XPSP2 picture transfer problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon SD450 -> XPSP2 picture transfer problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SD450
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 1:57 PM PDT

It sounds like you have not put the camera in "playback" mode for download.

Make sure the switch on the back is not in video or record mode. It must be in "playback" mode.

If that does not solve the problem, you should consider getting a card reader. Much simpler - you don't need special software and you never have to connect the camera to the computer.

Collapse -
SD450
by rcil2003 / May 25, 2006 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: SD450

Should have mentioned the camera is in playback mode.

Eventually I got the pictures burned to CD via a reader in a camera store, but I am disappointed that I need to do this, as the ability to transfer pictures via USB is a documented facility and should work.

Collapse -
Not able to transfer pictures
by fishpoint / June 21, 2006 2:23 PM PDT
In reply to: SD450

I have loaded hundreds of pictures from camera to computer via USB in the past. Suddenly, today I can't. The computer doesn't recognize that a camera is connected. Fresh batteries, camera in playback mode, cord is OK, port is OK. The camera takes pictures fine. Is something inside broken or am I being dumb about something? I should mention I have installed software for an mp3, which the computer recognizes just fine. Could that be any of the reason it no longer recognizes a camera or is it something with the camera? Any ideas?

Collapse -
Transfer Pictures
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 22, 2006 12:10 AM PDT

This type of problems seems to pop-up from time to time.
The cause can come from many sources:
Defective cable connector on the camera.
Defective circuits in the camera.
Drivers damaged by new software installed on the computer.
The Camera maker's computer software.
etc, etc.

It can take a lot of time to track down the exact cause.

If you have Windows XP, you could use the System Restore feature to restore your operating system back to a time when it worked properly.

Many people just buy a card reader and quit connecting the camera to the computer.
I went to a card reader years ago.
That way, I don't have to deal with the camera maker's software. Many of the newer computers come with a built-in card reader.

Collapse -
time to time problem
by fishpoint / June 22, 2006 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Transfer Pictures

Yes, it must be "from time to time" that a problem occurs. Because later after posting my message I tried a bunch more times, and suddenly the computer knew the camera was there, and I don't think I did anything different. I am not actually using the camera's software (abandoned it long ago) just windows. Thank you for your answer. I don't know anything about card readers but can explore. I do need to get them into my computer eventually.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.