Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon SD1000 vs. Canon SD 1200 (RE: Image Quality)

by blindkid79 / October 21, 2009 12:07 AM PDT

I need to replace my lost (stolen) Canon Powershot SD1000, and have all but decided on the Canon Powershot SD1200. My only concern is image/photo quality, based on the brief synopsis of each in the side-by-side comparison of the two.

The SD1000 is listed as having "excellent" image quality while the image quality of the newer and seemingly improved SD1200 is more or less described as "reasonable." (comparison --> http://bit.ly/4mWeSA)

Other than this, in looking at the specs, the SD1200 would appear to be equal or superior to the SD1000 in every way. Am I really looking at "reasonable vs. "excellent" with regard to comparing the image quality of these two, or am I just reading too much into the language being used?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
You're kidding...
by SX10 IS / October 21, 2009 7:13 AM PDT

You want us to click on that link? Post the full URL, then we'll talk.

Collapse -
I'M kidding?
by blindkid79 / October 21, 2009 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: You're kidding...

Well I don't know who "us" is, and I don't care if you click the link or not, I just provided it as a shortcut in case anyone wanted to look at the actual CNET comparison to which I was referring. It's not absolutely necessary to see the actual comparison though, if someone doesn't want to click the dang link, either way, my question about the cameras is the same. Click it, don't click it, doesn't matter to me, I'm just wanting to know if anyone can tell me anything about the difference in image/photo quality between these two models.

Collapse -
Gotta be safe...
by SX10 IS / October 21, 2009 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: I'M kidding?
Collapse -
The link.
by Kees Bakker / October 21, 2009 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: You're kidding...
Collapse -
Good Grief...
by blindkid79 / October 21, 2009 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: The link.

Holy crap, if you really wonder, here's your answer, I didn't go to any stupid website to shorten the url, I pasted it into a TweetDeck entry field, which I had open on a dual monitor, and converted it automatically. I did it just for the sake of trying to keep my post as brief as possible. So the "trouble" I went to took me literally less than two seconds, much less time than it took to make either of the two posted responses, neither of which has addressed my actual question.

Good Lord... Is there seriously no one who knows anything in the way of an answer to the question I've asked, instead of just pointlessly b*tching about the way I've asked it?

Collapse -
Canon
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 21, 2009 8:08 AM PDT

There is little difference in these two cameras.
The SD1200 has Image Stabilization - which is good.
The SD1200 has more megapixels but they are more crowded on the CCD sensor assembly. (mixed feelings about that).

But the bottom line is the difference in the picture quality.
Looking at sample photos from both cameras, I can see no difference.

Collapse -
Thank You!
by blindkid79 / October 21, 2009 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon

Thank you Snapshot2! That's the kind of info I was looking for!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!