Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon SD1000 or Sony DSC-W80

by arianas2004 / April 20, 2007 7:56 AM PDT

Hello everyone,
I have been researching digital cameras and the two that I like the most are the Canon SD 1000 and Sony DSC-W80. However, I am having trouble deciding which to buy. The only main difference I saw was the 2x digital zoom on the sony versus the 4x in the canon. I am gonna use this camera for friends and family functions, a nature scene here or there, and some night shots. I currently have an old olympus stylus and am looking for a good upgrade. Which of these cameras won't let me down. I want really good image quality. That's my MAIN concern. Please guide me out of my frustration!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon SD1000 or Sony DSC-W80
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon SD1000 or Sony DSC-W80
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
canon or sony?
by woodygg / April 20, 2007 9:39 AM PDT
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/sd1000.html

they didn't have the Sony review yet...you can find it on Cnet, but the review looked good.

i'd say the sony is the better call based on what i've heard about them... not based on personal usage of either (although i'm a much bigger fan of the canon's) - but i'd also say you'll probably be happy with both. most people who want a basic p&s nowdays worry way too much.

i did play around for a few minutes with my friends sd1000 and like it. i really like my sd600 as well. the sony does have image stablization though - but it's not something i've needed up until this point.
Collapse -
just bought the W90
by labradour / April 20, 2007 10:42 AM PDT

I actually tried the W80 and didn't care for it. Ended up with the W90. Only difference between them is that the W90 is an 8 megapixel and the W80 is 7. Didn't like the yellow tint of the W80 for indoor shots. W90 was much better. Red eye is practically obsolete also, as well as noise factor, but if you do encounter it, they both have the function to correct it within the picture before you print which is a great feature.
Don't really know much about the Canon's. They have really good reviews. For some reason, I just decided to go with the Sonys.
Go to your local store that carries them both and start snapping side by side. I ended up buying Sonys together, taking them home and printing pics to decide. The store didn't charge me restocking simply because I ended keeping the W90. Good luck

Collapse -
looking as well...
by stephalexis / April 21, 2007 9:08 AM PDT

I'm in the same boat, and I've also picked these two cameras as the last contenders. I really like the Canon name brand for good photos, but then again, the SD1000 is lacking image stabilization (for shaky hands) which pretty much every single camera in this category has. The Sony on the other hand, does have image stabilization and supposedly good photo quality.

Does anyone know if the Image Stabilization feature matters? Does it make the pics less blurry? Does anyone find it very important? Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
i have the same problem
by ghfsfdgd / May 6, 2007 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: looking as well...

i am thinking of going with the sony because im going to get s psp soon and the ms duo will work and i can share between the 2. also i saw a 4gb for $70 and a 2gb for $40. you shoudl buy from circuitcity because they have a sale on both cameras which mean there both 230(i think or 220) and the ms duo cost $40 for 2gb. i like the look of the canon from the front but in the back it look cheap like an hp design. i also like the fact that the sony has output cable so i cant se my videos and pictures on the t.v.

Collapse -
Canon's still are the best
by ferrarif107 / April 27, 2007 3:47 AM PDT

Hi, I have used canon SD400 and I am just going to buy a SD1000. One particular good thing about canon is the start-up time (less than 2 sec). Plus it has an SD card which is way cheaper than a sony memory pro stick. SD1000 also has the DIGIC III image processor which is supposed to be the most advanced image processing engine. A cnet video said sony W series are more of a low-end cameras.
About image stabilization, if you are using high zoom (taking a nature picture from distant place), I would say you are better-off using a tripod. No image stabilization can do the best job in this case. Plus shutter times and ambient light are also important. So dont worry too much about stabilization.
Red-eye reduction is a concern in any p&s camera too.

Collapse -
DSC-W80
by justjude9 / July 2, 2007 2:07 PM PDT

By now you will have purchased your camera. If it was the Sony, please let me know how it is working for you as I am looking into buying one. I had a wonderful Canon but the lens stuck out permanently with E18 error. The websites were unbelievable with the amount of E18 errors that Canon will not admit is a problem. I am sure there are good Canons but it was enough to frighten me from buying another. Thanks.

Collapse -
from what i understand
by woodygg / July 2, 2007 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: DSC-W80

the e18 errors were related to the older canon models...

Collapse -
Canon E18 error
by justjude9 / July 3, 2007 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: from what i understand

Does anyone else have further info on newer Canon digitals? I would sincerely hate to buy another and get E18 as Canon doesn't recognize this as a problem and the warranty doesn't cover it. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!