Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon S500- Pink pics. and it Freezes... please help

I fear my Canon PowerShot S500 DIgital Elph may be beyond help. But I am hoping someone here can either help me figure out if it has a chance for life again... or. :o( call the time of death.
It first started with the occasional picture having a red/pink hue darker on one side to lighter on the other. Then it would freeze occasionally. Now if I can take a pic before it freezes, it is all jagged and distorted as well as having the pink/red coloring. It might have started when I would move the slide switch from photo to view and back before it got fully to the next state. To un freeze it I have pulled the memory card and Battery, then replaced. Sometimes now it says memory corrupted or something. I have only one 512mb CF card. I wish I could find the original 32 mb card to see if it the card is a problem.

Any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon S500- Pink pics. and it Freezes... please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon S500- Pink pics. and it Freezes... please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon S500

In reply to: Canon S500- Pink pics. and it Freezes... please help

Regarding the pink color.
That is likely caused by a defective CCD sensor.
Your camera is on a list of cameras that have defective CCD sensors.
Canon will replace the CCD sensor for free, regardless of how old the camera is.

Start reading here:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=315232&messageID=2901073&tag=forums06;posts#2901073

Regarding Freeze-ups.
The CCD sensor has nothing to do with this type of problem.
I suggest you Format the memory card with the camera.
Read your User Manual on how to do this.
That deletes everything on the card, so save any pictures to your computer first.

If that does not fix the problem, it is possible that the battery has outlived its life.
Lithium batteries do not work forever.
But unfortunately, the only way to find out is to buy a new one.
You may or may not want to do that.

Collapse -
The re-format of CF card brought my S500 back to life !

In reply to: Canon S500

Snapshot2,

I wonder if the CF 'corrupted data' somehow made the magenta/blurred picture syndrome happen a lot more? Just re-formatting the CF card, then taking about 8 pics inside and out, yielded no magenta/blur issue. I will contact Canon about CCD senor replacement, but first wanted to ask if any chance that issue was related to the corrupted CF card.
I'd guess, it is likely that the CCD sensor issue may now be back to it's original state of being random and occasional. ? ?

BIG THANKS FOR saving me from buying a new camera! We love this one.

Dave

Collapse -
Canon S500

In reply to: The re-format of CF card brought my S500 back to life !

The S500 has an excellent sharp lens, so hang on to it.

Good to hear that the Format fixed something.

Regarding the pink color:
I don't think the formatting of the memory card will solve the pink color problem
If it is caused by the CCD sensor, it will get worse ... soon.
It will eventually turn into something that looks like melted colors.

I have returned two cameras to Canon for the CCD problem.
One was producing pink colors most of the time, the other had gotten much worse and looked like runny watercolors.
They fixed and returned both within 10 days time.
They even paid shipping, both ways.

You can wait until it gets worse before contacting Canon.
It is not a recall, so they will only fix a camera that is showing the problem.
When you do contact them, use the telephone (not email) because they will need to ask you a couple of questions to rule out a defective LCD.

Good Luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.