Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon Rebel XT vs. XTi

by CiaoRagazzi / August 14, 2007 12:49 AM PDT

I am buying my first SLR camera, and am having trouble deciding between the XT and XTi. I know that the XTi is an improvement on the XT, but is it worth almost $200 more than the XT? (On Amazon, XT with lens kit is $565, and the XTi with lens kit is $713)

My main question is, is the XTi worth the extra $200?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Rebel XT vs. XTi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Rebel XT vs. XTi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What does $200 buy you?
by hjfok / August 14, 2007 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon Rebel XT vs. XTi

An insignificant 2MP step up (to 10 MP), an upgrade to nine-point AF sensor from the XT's 7-point, a new dust removal system, low-pass filter vibration and software based dust pattern removal (which you can do easily on Photoshop or other image software). You also get a larger 2.5" LCD monitor and the eye proximity sensor just below the viewfinder to turn this off when composing your shot.
This will not be worth selling the Rebel XT to get the XTi, but if this is your first D-SLR, then you have to decide whether this is something you really want. None of these upgrade features are essential in the sense that you won't get noticeable difference in the final photo image. These features are more for the manufacturer to advertise and compete with the features offered by other manufacturers. $200 can also buy you a tele lens or a camera flash, which can significantly improve your photography. If your budget is tight, use the $200 to get a tele lens or flash instead of getting more sugar coating on the camera body.

Collapse -
What does $200 buy you?
by taboma / August 17, 2007 2:30 PM PDT

Good post and info from you. Nice job!!

Collapse -
by fionndruinne / August 14, 2007 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon Rebel XT vs. XTi

The XTi is supposed to fix an autofocus problem with the XT, where the latter could be very slow finding focus at times. Having a camera that can autofocus quickly and reliably is important; whether it will be a problem for you or is worth $200 to you, well, that's less clear-cut.

Collapse -
Canon Rebel XT autofocus
by hjfok / August 21, 2007 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: autofocus

The Rebel XT autofocus works well for most average Rebel users. The XT focuses slower and less accurate when used with a wide aperture lens (f/2.8 or wider) that has shallow depth of field. The XTi uses the autofocus system of the 30D, which is of course superior to the old XT system, and 3 times more accurate than the XT. The AF performance difference is expected, between higher end and lower end models. Canon is nice enough to use the higher end model AF mechanism in the entry level model for the XTi. For Nikon, you will notice the same thing. The Nikon D40 has only a lowly 3 wide areas autofocus, whereas the Nikon D200 has 11/7 area autofocus which is superior to the Nikon D40. If Nikon does what Canon does for XTi, and put the Nikon D200 AF mechanism in the D40, then new D40 will also perform much better than the current model. But there is nothing wrong with the AF system of either the Canon XT or the Nikon D40 for most average users. They work well and this issue has not stopped people from buying these cameras.
Most Rebel and Nikon D40 users are using the slower and smaller aperture lenses, and will not notice any problem. Not too many Rebel or D40 users buy the pro lenses that have wide aperture (f/2.8 or wider), costing more than the camera body itself. And people who use wide aperture lenses usually are experienced enough to do manual focus or compensate for the deficiency.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?