Peripherals forum

General discussion

Canon printer start up sounds

by fulltimesheep / February 10, 2008 12:25 PM PST

Do all Canon printers make kind of a loud clickity clack noise for about 5-10 seconds when they start up? It almost sounds like the print head is jammed or something. My i9900 makes that noise if I let it sit for a few days without printing anything.

I've always assumed it's just cleaning the nozzle, and the first time it happened I was a little surprised. It's my first Canon printer, and none of my other printers ever made a noise like that.

I have had it for a little over a year now, and it prints reliably, but I just want to know what that sound is.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon printer start up sounds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon printer start up sounds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More questions
by hawk9934 / February 11, 2008 2:49 AM PST

I know the two canon's I have make some noise, but not like you describe.

Did it just start making this sound? Has it gotten worse or better? Has the print quality suffered?

Collapse -
My IP4300 Is Noisy Too
by wexmary / February 15, 2008 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: More questions

But works a whole lot more reliably than any Epson I used. If it works, the noise is worth it.

Collapse -
Printer sounds
by charlotsweb / February 15, 2008 11:16 AM PST

I have a Samsung CLP-300 that makes that sound just before it starts printing. I don't think it did when I first got it, but shortly thereafter. So far it hasn't effected the printing.

Collapse -
Noise from a Canon printer
by Bkess / February 15, 2008 11:54 AM PST

Most printers, Canons included, go through a printhead clean cycle when they are first turned on. This makes some noise, but it should be no louder than when actually printing. I once had an HP printer that made a terrible chattering sound when printing, almost like gears grinding on one another! Turned out that round shiny rail that the printhead assembly moves back and forth across the paper was dirty (and sticky). I cleaned it with a soft dry cloth and all was as quiet as a mouse! Try it on yours - but don't use a lubricant of any kind, the rail is supposed to be dry and clean!

Collapse -
Noise from a Canon printer
by markt99k / May 27, 2011 6:41 PM PDT

I was skeptical of Bkess's post since the grinding noise seemed WAY louder than a dirty rail would cause, but a good swipe across it with a cloth actually did stop the noise... EXCEPT, where before it made the noise when it started up, now it makes the same noise on shutdown!

At least it's briefer now. But it's not something we can ignore. This kind of noise really isn't acceptable from any manufacturer, and the fact that so many people are experiencing it is pretty damning. I definitely won't be replacing this beast with another Canon.

Collapse -
Canon = 2 large plastic gears violently grinding
by Doris_Girl / June 6, 2013 6:29 AM PDT

My Canon MP530 makes the same loud grinding sounds as many other people are experiencing. If you heard it... you'd known immediately it has absolutely nothing to do with "normal head cleaning" or "a dirty rod" or "a paper issue".

This is VERY loud... sounds like 2 large plastic gears violently grinding against each other. Not sure how that can happen for more than a few times without totally destroying the printer. My printer has been doing it since the day I bought it, 4 years ago.

I've taken the printer apart many times, trying to locate the noise... but nothing looks like it's having a problem. The noise must be coming from something inside deeper than a partial disassemble would reveal.

Needless to say, I'll never buy anything with the word "Canon" on it again.

Collapse -
This printer is 8 or so years old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2013 6:33 AM PDT

No printer for that much lasts that many years. I see working ones on ebay for about 20 bucks if you want to salvage one and use up your ink supply.

At least you have a few more names to get burned up about. Buying a printer every few years seems to be how it goes now. So if you can eek out that many years on a printer you have a life time of printer makers to use and when it fails, write this every 8 years or so.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: grinding
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 6, 2013 6:54 AM PDT

If it works for 4 year already, I'd say it's by design. But I can understand you don't like it.
A lesson for buying a new one: listen to it in the shop.

Kees

Collapse -
noisy printet
by gcpowers / February 16, 2008 12:25 AM PST

i find all canon printers make that noise when turned on ,,,but they do work well!

Collapse -
Noisy printer
by gkamer / February 16, 2008 12:46 AM PST

My Canon i960 makes all kinds of noise when I first fire it up, but it still puts out photo lab quality prints so I'm happy.

Collapse -
RE : Canon printer start up sounds
by shclarkson / February 16, 2008 1:16 AM PST

I have a Canon MP110 it makes the same sounds as yours when starting up but prints great photo's best printer i've had up to now so how cares about noise's if the printing results are great !!

Regards Postysteve.

Collapse -
Me too....
by gmark / February 26, 2008 6:29 AM PST

I have a Canon ip4200. Does the exact same thing and takes a while to get going. Has performed this way right out of the box. But it prints really well.

Cheers,

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?