Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon PowerShot S95

by nevershoutnevergirl / December 31, 2010 6:55 AM PST

Today I went to Best Buy and looked at the Canon PowerShot S95. I am currently looking for a fairly small camera that has great image quality and HD video. I am looking to bring this to some concerts so I can get some good photos and video. I thought the camera was great. I would try to move the camera just after I clicked take photo and it would turn out beautiful and clear. That is a very good thing for me especially because I tend to shake a little while taking photos. I didn't try the video but because of it being HD, I bet it's fine for me. If anyone has any comments on the Canon PowerShot S95 camera please comment. Also, if you know of any other nice mid-sized cameras under 400 that have HD video and image stabilization that you would recommend, please let me know! Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon PowerShot S95
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon PowerShot S95
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon S95
by hjfok / January 3, 2011 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Canon PowerShot S95

I like this little camera. In broad daylight, the photos are great. Indoor or low light still photos look quite decent, good enough for memory book and regular prints, though not as good as my D-SLRs with fast lenses (but that cost 10x more). For low light still photos, the auto mode and Aperture priority mode work quite well. I use the Aperture priority with flash, along with f/2 and higher ISO, for the Las Vegas and Disneyland New Year Eve party photos. Both the people and the background lighting came out fine. The indoor Small World holiday photos (without flash) turn out pretty well. There is some visible noise when enlarged but good enough for Facebook and regular size prints. There is no spot metering, so brighter background lights can get blown out highlights, but this is as good as a compact can get.
It is small enough to fit in pants pockets and purse, can go anywhere you go. I took it to the peak of the snowy Mammoth mountains, party in Vegas, or hang out with kids in local venues. And will try do scuba diving with it soon (though cannot use TTL flash underwater like my D-SLR or G10). Obviously compacts will not do well for low light actions, but overall the photos turn out better than I thought.
The HD video works quite well, but for indoor video you need to change the white balance setting (otherwise the video has a yellowish tint under tungsten lighting, this is a problem for all cameras). For family video, this compact camera does not have the depth of field problem like my D-SLR (subjects getting out of focus easily if they move around).

Collapse -
Canon S95
by billins / January 5, 2011 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Canon PowerShot S95

Check out Panasonic's Lumix LX5. It offers a great lecia wide angle lens , and is virtually equal to the S95 when it comes to picture quality. And it beats the S95 in terms of HD video going away. The major downside, is that it is not as "pockitable" as the S95, although not much larger than the S95, the lens extends from the camera enough to make it harder to pocket. It really comes down to your preference. Check out both, and good luck, as I have been going back and forth in trying to decide between the two myself. I love the S95 given its slick small size, but love the much better capabilites of the LX5 in terms of its superior HD video and low light shooting ability.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?