Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon Powershot S2 IS shutter stuck?

by shome1 / April 8, 2007 12:36 PM PDT

I purchased the Powersht S2 IS just a little over one year ago (just enough to be out of warranty), and am having a problem with it.

It powers up and everything seems to work except the viewfinder and lcd screen. Both are black and I can see nothing. I can take a picture, but of course it is nothing but black.

Anyone else with similiar issues? If so, can it be fixed without spend $130 sending it back to Canon? I've tried to locate someone local who repairs cameras, but there is no one. My only other alternative is to fork out the $130 plus shipping to Canon.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Powershot S2 IS shutter stuck?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Powershot S2 IS shutter stuck?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad CCD Sensor
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 9, 2007 12:23 AM PDT

Sounds like the CCD sensor has died.

Some background on the problem.

Some time ago Sony sold a batch of defective CCD sensors to Canon and several other camera makers.

Canon will repair the cameras with that bad sensor for free.
Canon released a list of cameras with that bad sensor.
Later they added to that list.
The Canon S2-IS is not on that list.........but.........
the canon S1-IS is on the second list.

Some People have successfully argued with Canon repair and got them to fix a S2-IS camera for free.
Some people have not been successful in this endeavor.

I suggest you go to the following link and read all about the problem:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Then contact Canon and tell them you are aware of the recall on the S1-IS camera and your S2-IS camera probably has the same bad Sony sensor too. After all, they have had to add to their recall list before.....maybe they still have undetected bad sensors in some cameras (like yours).

Be insistent but not rude.

Collapse -
Bad CCD Sensor
by shome1 / April 9, 2007 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad CCD Sensor

Thank you so much for your reply. I will read all the info. you provided and go from there.

I really do like this camera, and since I paid around $500 for it a bit more than one year ago, would really like to be able to use it for at least a few more years.

I will give an update after I've contacted Canon.

Thanks again!!

Collapse -
Same problem
by dcpool / April 17, 2007 8:17 AM PDT

I just experienced the same problem with my 2 year old S2. I am going to contact Canon also. Let me know if Canon repairs yours?

Thanks

Collapse -
Repair
by shome1 / April 17, 2007 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

I did call the customer support number and spoke with a csr. I was told that the symptoms of my camera were the same of the others being the image sensor had died, but the decision would be left up to the repair/service center. The vibe I got from that guy didn't feel very promising.

I have shipped the camera to the repair/service center and am awaiting to hear word from them to see what will happen next. I did include a letter with the camera stating that I was aware that some S2 owners had had their's repaired under the advisory and that some had not.

I politely requested that mine be fixed according to the advisory so I'll have to wait and see what they say. They should have received the camera this afternoon, so I should be hearing from them very soon.

I will keep you posted.

Collapse -
Update
by shome1 / April 25, 2007 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Repair

Canon repaired my camera, but I had to pay $127 to get it done. I went through 6 different people trying to explain my reasoning for wanting the repair to be free of charge. Not one of the 6 would acknowledge the fact that there's something wrong with the S2's and my repair would cost me.

Check out the links below for other customers with the same camera and the exact same problem. See if you can keep up with the count of people who had their repair done free of charge compared to those of us who had to pay for it. Canon should be ashamed of their business practices:

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-s2is_question.html?qid=3894

http://www.fixya.com/support/t116229-canon_powershot_s2_digital_camera

Collapse -
Canon S2 IS Power Shot
by Nez61 / April 24, 2008 11:36 PM PDT

I did just as you suggested. Contacted Canon, printed out the form sent that in, talked to a rep, only to be given a choice to let them repair it for $127, or purchase a "REFURBISHED" S3IS Power shot..for $175.00. My warranty was at the time only 6mo.past the expiration date of the warranty. To say that I'm upset very very upset would be a understatement. I have not yet purchased another camera. You can be sure that when I make another camera, I WILL NOT buy a Canon product. IF a company can not at least honor their product considering that this problem is/or seem to be an ongoing problem with the S series cameras. Starting with the S1..the S2 should be added to Canon's list for repairs and for problems...

Collapse -
Small Claims Court option vs Canon
by zcream / January 28, 2009 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Canon S2 IS Power Shot

Hi! I live in Australia and thinking of filing a suit with the fairtrading tribunal to add the S2IS to the Canon advisory. Could anyone send me an email with more details of their problems ? If Canon did fix this, can you also send me details of your repair ?
amish153 (at) hotmail (dot) com
Cheers!

Collapse -
S2is stuck shutter
by nnapoli / April 15, 2009 12:19 PM PDT

Hi, I wanted to add my camera to the list. Last week I was at a baseball game, taking pictures of my friends. All of a sudden, the viewfinder and screen went blank. I uploaded black pictures onto my computer. It seems like the sensor everyone else is describing.
Any suggestions on how to get it replaced? This has been a great camera till now. Although I do have my eyes on the SX10...
Thanks,
nicholas

Collapse -
Small Claims Court option
by zcream / January 28, 2009 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: Canon S2 IS Power Shot

Hi! I live in Australia and am thinking of filing a suit with the fairtrading tribunal to add the S2IS to the Canon advisory. Could anyone send me an email with more details of their problems ? If Canon did fix this, can you also send me details of your repair ?
amish153 (at) hotmail (dot) com
Cheers!

Collapse -
Try this place out www.bsodpowershotrepair.com
by fiveliter8 / April 13, 2009 12:34 PM PDT

They repaired mine 100%. I tried the 15 second exposure trick which only would work for a few shots. Canon only fixes a CCD problem. The S2's problem is a stuck shutter.

Collapse -
Stuck Shutter and the Fix Spoken of
by t00nz / October 1, 2009 7:31 PM PDT

A stuck shutter is another common failure mode for digital cameras. The symptoms of a stuck or "sticky" shutter are very similar to CCD image sensor failure. The camera may take black pictures (for shutter stuck closed), or the pictures may be very bright and overexposed, especially when taken outdoors (for shutter stuck open).

To confirm a stuck shutter, put the camera in any mode other than "Auto", and turn the flash OFF (you don't want to blind yourself for the next step). Next look down the lens and take a picture. You should see a tiny flicker in the center of the lens as the shutter opens and closes. If no movement is seen, then you likely have a stuck shutter. If so, please see this link for further info and a simple fix that may help:

http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2009/05/simple-fix-for-stuck-shutter.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.