Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon PowerShot S2 IS Accessories

by luckiduck / March 28, 2006 9:17 AM PST

I'm upgrading my camera from a Canon S45 to a Canon S2 IS. I'm an intermediate user, but haven't used different lenses. However, I would like to get more involved in this aspect, but not to the point as to be too advanced.

I'm looking to purchase a Canon PowerShot S2 IS and wanted to know what is the conversion lens adapter and a clear UV filter, that I'm hearing about using to eliminate the lens cap consistently falling off and do you carry this accessory?

I'm also interested in to know if I need the Lens Hood Adapter Set LAH-DC20 or Wide Converter WC-DC58A or Tele Converter TC-DC58B?

I see there is a Canon battery and charger kit for this camera, CBK4-200. Is this the best to buy or are there better choices?

Which is the best and/or fastest charger for the Nimh Batteries that this camera needs? Do they all come with car charging capabilities? If not, which do?

What about the Lens Adapter Tube by Raynox, is this something I need as well?

Finally, I heard about a 52mm lens adapter from Lensmate. Are you familiar with this item? Would it be beneficial?

Sorry about all of the questions, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon PowerShot S2 IS Accessories
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon PowerShot S2 IS Accessories
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If your going to invest
by mrobzo / March 28, 2006 8:03 PM PST

In all those accessories, why not get the S3 IS? For all that matters, why not look into getting a DSLR? All those things really add up. If you intend to invest that much in a camera that is already dated you have to remember everything in the digital camera market is lost in the competitive frenzy. Consider rethinking your stratagy.

Collapse -
Canon S2 IS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 11:59 PM PST

You can not screw lenses into the front of the lens on the S2 IS, so you need a lens adapter. The UV filter is often used just to protect the lens from being scratched.

Such a filter can also cause lens flare when pointing the camera toward the sun, so then you need the lens hood.

You can use the same lens adapter to hold any converter lenses.

The Teleconverter lens is rated 1.5X, which means it will turn you 12X zoom into a 18X zoom.

The Wide Angle converter lens is rated 0.8X, which means it will turn your shortest focal length (36mm) into 28.8mm. This will let you have a wider view.

You will pay a premium price for the Canon battery and charger kit. Canon buys its batteries from one of the major battery companies. All of the major battery companies also offer such kits. Look at WalMart. Look for NiMH batteries with charger. The higher the mAh rating, the longer it will last on a charge. Look for mAh ratings of over 2000. A nice kit should be about $20

Only a few come with a car charger. You will have to hunt for those.

The Raynox and Lensmate adapters do the same thing as
the Canon lens adapter, but they are too small your the S2 IS. They will cause vignetting of the image (darkening or blurring of the corners of the pictures).

I recommend you do not buy any lens adapters until after you get the camera and see if you really need them. Very few people need them.

You should also go the www.porters.com
and have them send you their free 120 page catalogue.
It has a large section on lenses, adapters, filters, etc.
Get the catalogue because it has more detail than their website.

Collapse -
Canon S2 IS Accessories
by luckiduck / March 29, 2006 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Canon S2 IS

Thank you for your response. I don't really know if I truly need all or any of these things. Unfortunately, After reading many reviews on different sites these were the issues that were discussed. The lens cap falling off the S2 seems to be the biggest complaint.

However, I'm upgrading from a PowerShot S45, basically a point and shoot. The S2 IS camera offers me a 12X zoom lens for my boys sports activities that I would like to photograph. I don't think I'm ready for a true SLR because I'm not as heavily interested in different lenses at this time and until I purchase the camera, maybe I should wait and see what, if anything extra, I might need.

Other than that, the S2 IS seems like a good buy. I know the S3 is out, but I hear it may not be worth the difference in cost.
Any suggestions?

John

Collapse -
S2 IS - S3 IS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 29, 2006 1:20 AM PST
Collapse -
S3is - Still a noisy camera...but less
by jon4mug / April 19, 2006 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: S2 IS - S3 IS

Still afther having examinate hundreds of pictures taken by the s2is I'm still impress by the noise. The S2 lents is good, but the fact that it's a 12x tend to produce noisy image at each extrimit

Collapse -
Completely agree
by redboy7 / April 22, 2006 2:54 PM PDT

I find that I get noise in my pics too from the S2IS. I don't like that but that's the way it is and I can accept that because there aren't many alternatives (except shoot big and crop less). I just like this series because it's the best of both worlds: video and still pictures. I would have to say the S3IS isn't much of an improvement but it isn't a bad place to start as your first camera as it is close to what the S@IS was when it came out. I wouldn't upgrade because it's too much money to spend in a short period of time, unless if you use it to earn a living. There is still much more Canon can do such as more codecs and image compression options for this series. Canon should make thier cameras so you can upgrade the firmware because in the end, that's all the cameras operate with (except whatever the hardware produces for it to work with). It would make them market leaders. I can see this being possible in the future with other excellent features, such as a remote for shooting pics and video. They've come this far and I know they'll keep going with it.

Collapse -
My Canon's firmware can, and has, been upgraded. I imagine
by Kiddpeat / April 23, 2006 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Completely agree

that, if they don't offer that ability on all their cameras, that it has to do with cost and the needs of the market served by a particular model.

Collapse -
Lens Cap
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 29, 2006 1:27 AM PST

When you get that Porter's catalogue, look at the index at the back of the catalogue and look for "Lens Caps Straps".

It is page 48 in my copy.

You will find several solutions to preventing the loss of lens caps.

Collapse -
My thoughts and responses....
by prodesma / April 1, 2006 4:14 PM PST

I just got the S2 also and love it after a few short weeks. All I read says to get the Canon-brand Adapter Kit, it's less likely to have the threads freeze up. Also, it comes with a lens hood (as you surely know from your post).

I would definitely NOT buy Canon batteries. Like their flash mem cards, they are overpriced and underperform. Thomas Distributing has excellent prices and reviews from many. I'd get the 2700 mAh NiMH myself. I had the same Sanyo, but 2500mAh bought from local Costco for less than $20 I think... Included 4 AA and 2 AAA and Rapid Charger, great deal. The Maha Powerex are a really good deal too, I would be confident with those at a couple $ less than the Sanyos.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/new-products.htm

Also check this link, for a great combo with the Maha batteries and charger. And yes, they sell a DC adapter for it for $4.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-gtcharger-special.php

I like the S2, but plan on getting the S3 by August I figure. Its release date is end of May at SRP $499. 6MP, 2" LCD, 800 ISO, sport shoot mode, and an AMAZING 60 fps video sells me on it. Yeah its gunmetal finish is cool too. I'll use the video for my golf swing and sports coaching, so it's a no brainer. But the 800 ISO and 2" LCD are huge pluses.

And I think 6MP is the "sweet spot" for resolution. I had a 3.2MP and found that 5X7 prints made for cropped parts of my snaps were not great. I might even print a 3'X 4' for framing in my home, and I would be more confident with 6MPs than 5. At 6MPs, you should always have plenty of resolution, but aren't paying tremendously for it when you don't need it (note: other features I've mentioned help justify the added price).

Cheers.

Collapse -
S2 IS
by luckiduck / April 4, 2006 11:28 AM PDT

I'm happy to hear your satisfied with your S2. I also, am wondering about the S3. I know it will cost a little more, but I figure if I'm going to make the investment, maybe the changes, if any, in the S3 will be worth it.
I plan on going to Florida in June and thought it would be a great purchase. I probably could get the S2 and accessories for the same amount of the S3 straight out of the box. But again, I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet, pay the extra and go with the S3? Any opinions?

P.S. Thanks for the site links. I'm still not sure what accessories I'll need. It's good to hear from someone who recently purchased one!

Collapse -
S2 IS For Less
by Bruce Parrish / April 4, 2006 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: S2 IS

I purchased the S2 IS before going to Fl in Feb. Had not had experience with Digital cameras or any other for that matter for a long time. I ended up paying $370.00 for it and am thrilled with it. I just leave it on automatic and find I can't take a bad picture with it. I didn't know if I'd need the 12x zoom but find it is great. From what I've read about the S3 I don't think it would be worth the extra money as I am totally pleased with my pictures and the price!!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?