Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon Powershot G6 or Powershot S70

by jacko / October 26, 2004 4:18 PM PDT

I'm looking for a new camera and having trouble deciding between the Canon PowerShot G6 and the S70. What is the major difference and which one should I choose? Their specs seem so similar. As I spend a lot of time hiking and travelling in Japan, I want one that is good for outdoor scenery, have good Zoom, and features that I can play around with for those special scenes like Mt Fuji and cascading waterfalls. It also needs to be good for those special family photos as well.
The reviews on the PowerShot G6 mentions the purple fringing problems with this camera. Is it really that bad, or is it an issue for those people who are in the slightly more professional level?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Powershot G6 or Powershot S70
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Powershot G6 or Powershot S70
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Canon Powershot G6 or Powershot S70
by jump1127 / October 26, 2004 9:37 PM PDT

I'm not sure whether the purple fringing problem is common to G6, but definitely G5. I still use S50 and quite happy with the camera unless,in the extreme condition, you will use the external flash. The picture's quailty of Canon S and G series aren't that noticably different. Both cameras are quite good digital camera. Besides, if you'll travel a lot, the smaller camera is more convenient. Why don't spend your extra money for the compact flash memory, instead ? Good luck.

Collapse -
Re: Canon Powershot G6 or Powershot S70
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 27, 2004 12:56 AM PDT

The G6 and S70 are meant to be kissing cousins.
Their features are almost identical.

The S70 has a wide angle lens and the G6 has a bright f2.0 lens.

Many people prefer the smaller physical size of the S70.

Many cameras show some degree of purple fringing. It only occurs where a very dark object is backgrounded with a very bright sky. It is only noticeable when you view it on a monitor and the file is expanded to full size. It is seldom seen in a print. Pickey people like to discuss it. Forget about it.

Collapse -
Canon Powershot G6 or Powershot S70
by Wilt / January 21, 2005 5:13 AM PST

The Canon Powershot Gn is more the 'pro-sumer' camera. It has photographic control features not available on the Sn, and a much faster lens. Fast lens is needed when you take available light photos (instead of artificial light photos) in lower lighting situation. You can't fire a flash at something 100' away, so with the G6 you can get that castle lit up whereas you'd get a badly exposed photo with the S70 in the same light. (If the shutter speed on the S70 can go slow enough I bet you can't hold the camera steady for the longer exposure time!)
Penalty is generally more bulky and heavy G6 vs. smaller lighter S70. They are meant for different markets who have different needs. Small and light is good if portability is key, but if the shot must be made the G6 can do it in more situations than the S70.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?