Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon Powershot A75 - Problems with flash

I just bought my Canon Powershot A75 not long ago and have been taking lots of pictures and videos.

1. One thing that ha sbeen bothering me is that whenever i take pictures of people close by, the flash just sort of whitens up the image of the person. is there a way to solve this?

2. I wonder if it's possible for me to take videos longer than the default 30 secs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Powershot A75 - Problems with flash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Powershot A75 - Problems with flash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure, turn off the flash. I don't use mine. My camera will

In reply to: Canon Powershot A75 - Problems with flash

still take the picture OK, but the shutter will be open longer. Thus, movement must be avoided. I find the flash totally washes out colors.

Collapse -
Re: Canon Powershot A75 - Problems with flash

Some cameras will let you adjust the flash output.
Check you owners manual for such an adjustment.

Your camera has a Night Scene setting. It uses a slow-sync for the flash. See if that helps.

One solution is to step back from the subject and use the camera zoom to reframe the subject.

Movie mode length is controlled by the camera manufacturer and is limited because they encountered problems when trying to exceed the specified limit.
i.e. they ran out of buffer space shortly after 30 seconds.

Collapse -
If you're using a macro setting, you can't

In reply to: Re: Canon Powershot A75 - Problems with flash

step back. The camera will no longer be able to focus on what you're trying to photograph.

Collapse -
Re: Canon Powershot A75 - Problems with flash

kiddpeat: i agree with you.. the colours would seem to sort of dissipate. But i guess turning off the flash would work as an alternative. However, movement do seem like problem so i guess the hands need to get used to being still. ANyways, i'll try stepping back a bit b4 taking photos. Thanks! =)

snapshot2: yeah.. i've tried adjusting the flash output and by default, it's already at it's least. At night scene, the camera's sensitive to movement. Anyways, thanks for the info on the movie mode length. =)

Collapse -
Tripods are highly recommended plus a subject

In reply to: Re: Canon Powershot A75 - Problems with flash

that's not moving. Also, don't move the camera after releasing the shutter. It may still be open. I've ruined many pictures by moving the camera after I release the shutter.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.