Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon PowerShot A640 --does it have a Time/Date option?

by Call_Me / March 10, 2007 11:57 PM PST

I've tried going to various threads in the forum, to see if there was a specific A640 thread, but only found random references to the camera.

My question is specific: My beloved SONY CyberShot DSC-P10 has finally died and since it's out of Warranty and the 3 year Service Plan I bought with it, it's cheaper to buy a new camera (so I've been told) than to send this away for repair.

My three demands for a small digital camera (aside from the obvious ones) are:

1) It MUST fit into my workbag sachel! I take it to my construction site daily and it has to be at the ready: 24/7.

2) It MUST have a Time/Date stamp so I can document when work was begun and ended on our construction sites. The two other SONY cameras that I looked at did NOT have the time/date feature.

3) It MUST have a viewfinder! I grew up using them on my old SLR Canon and don't want to look at a video screen to compose my shots.

Now, no matter WHAT site I visit or what review I read, I can not find a reference to whether this camera has the Time/Date option. It has a viewfinder (yes!), it fits into my work bag (another yes!) but it also must record when the photos are shot so the pictures can be printed out with the time and date.

Does anyone have this camera so they can let me know if it has this feature? I normally buy my cameras through Best Buy but they don't carry this model so I can't ask them. Where I saw this and tried the size was a MegaGrocery Store and the "sales people" knew NOTHING about any digital cameras, except how to ring them as a sale.

My construction season is going to start in a couple of weeks, or sooner, so I'd appreciate any helpful answers as soon as possible!

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon PowerShot A640 --does it have a Time/Date option?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon PowerShot A640 --does it have a Time/Date option?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Date Stamp
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 7:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks!
by Call_Me / March 11, 2007 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Date Stamp

Well, that won't work, postcard mode, I mean. Sad Thanks for letting me know.

The time/date is crucial to me; I guess I'll have to go on ebay and get the out-of-stock Sony I used to have.

Thanks so much for the link and letting me about the limitations.

Collapse -
Another question about this camera
by Call_Me / March 11, 2007 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

For anyone who owns this camera, does the fact that it uses AA batteries diminish the usefulness of it? I previously had a SONY DSC-P10 that I wore out and it had rechargeable Lithium batteries that never seemed to die.

I'm still considering this camera, but am now wondering about the effectiveness of AA batteries vs. rechargeable ones.

Thanks again to anyone who reads this and answers.

Collapse -
Batteries
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 12, 2007 8:38 AM PDT

I have several digital cameras.
Some with Lithium and some with AA batteries.
I have no preference.

Cameras that use the AA alkaline batteries also use
rechargeable NiMH batteries.
The AA NiMH batteries seldom come with the camera but you should buy them and a charger.
AA alkaline batteries do not last long.
The NiMH last 4 to 5 times longer on a charge than alkaline.
NiMH batteries are available at any store that sells digital cameras.
Price is $10 to $30 for a kit (batteries and charger).

Lithium and NiMH battery life on a charge is about equal.

The advantage of the AA batteries is if you took a large amount of photos in a day and the camera runs out of power. You can stop at any store and pick up some AA alkaline batteries to finish the days shooting.

Collapse -
The date time can be added when you print your photo
by jmelgar / March 13, 2007 10:47 AM PDT

Canon's software included with the camera (ImageBrowser) has the option to print the date and time in the left low corner if you want it. As You Know, almost every digital photo keeps the date, time and other useful information into the each photo, some software can print it out for your records.

Collapse -
Thanks to the experts!
by Call_Me / March 14, 2007 11:51 AM PDT

snapshot2 and jmelgar: Thanks to BOTH of you for educating me and letting me know that I can install a rechargeable battery and that there is an option in the Canon CD to have the time/date stamp go on my photos.

Those responses are the reason why I ONLY post questions at CNET.com; the people who come here and post reviews and answers are the BEST!!!

I know what I know, but...I don't know what I don't know. Although people come to me as an expert in construction, I'm barely beyond the point of knowing email and point & click with modern technical gadgets. Salespeople will tell you what they think you want to hear/or what they are 'long' on in the store. But, I receive unbiased, expert help at this site.

I'm going to re-look at the Canon camera on Saturday, thanks to the three great posts to my question.

Thanks to each and every one of you for taking the time to help me make the right decision!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.