Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon Powershot A620 - computers won't recognize it

by TriniMaster1 / July 28, 2006 8:03 PM PDT

I'm having a problem getting computers to recognize my Canon Powershot A620. Two computers I use regularly - one, a Dell Inspiron 1000 at home, and the other, a Dell desktop (model unknown) I use at work - won't recognize the camera.

I bought the camera from Dell in later January. Transferring images from the camera to the computer worked fine until mid-May, which is when the problem started.

I had an exchange of e-mail with Canon technical staff, and they finally said I should send it in for evaluation, which I did. Their verdict: a form letter saying they were unable to find any problem, it might be with the software configuration on my PC, I should uninstall Canon Zoom Browser EX, and "Reinstall the CD that came with your camera." I tried that, but nothing changed.

Can anyone give me any further advice? The camera takes excellent photos, but it's not much help if I can't upload them to a computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Powershot A620 - computers won't recognize it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Powershot A620 - computers won't recognize it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon A620
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 12:19 AM PDT

This type of problem occurs sometimes and no one seems to have the answer, but it is most likely something to do with the computer drivers.

Many times the problem will go away....all by itself.

There is an excellent $20 solution.

Buy a card reader. WalMart has them for $20.

Then there is no need to connect your camera to the computer and no need to even load the camera software.

If you are using Windows XP you do not even have to install drivers for the card reader. XP will do that for you.
If you are using Windows 98SE, you will need to install drivers for the card reader. Some card readers come with the Windows 98SE drivers on a CD and some card readers make you download drivers from their website.

With the card reader, when you insert the memory card into the reader, the computer will recognize it as being a hard disk. You can then use Windows Explorer to copy the photo files to your C: disk.

Collapse -
Canon A620: number of images on SD card contributing factor?
by TriniMaster1 / July 29, 2006 6:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon A620

Thanks for your response; I'm going to look into getting a Card Reader like you suggested. Any recommendations?

It's funny that you mentioned Wal-Mart, because prior to reading your response, I talked to a Wal-Mart photo counter clerk about my problem. He seemed to know his stuff, and he suggested that the amount of photos I have on my memory card may also be a contributing factor to my problem. I disagree, but let's see what you (or anyone else who's reading) think.

I'm using a Sandisk 2.0 GB SD memory card, which as of time of posting has 4,854 (four thousand, eight hundred and fifty-four) images on it. Most of the images are Small resolution (640 x 480 pixels), but I do have a significant number of images (maybe as much as a thousand) at what the Canon user guide refers to as Medium 2 resolution (2048 x 1536 pixels).

Would this have any effect on the problem with my camera?

Collapse -
Images on card
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 11:53 PM PDT

That is an interesting theory.
I have not heard anyone complain about putting too many images on one card.

It may be a problem for the photo processor at WalMart.
He gets lots of cards each day from all types of cameras. His equipment may have a limit.

That does bring up the subject of "why so many photos on the card".

I do hope you have them backed up somewhere.
Trusting all of your photos to a single storage device seems unwise.

I transfer my photos to a hard drive and then burn two sets of the photo files to CDs.

After that is complete, I feel it is safe to delete the photos from the memory card.

I used to take some photos at reduced sizes (640x480, etc) but stopped that. I regretted the small sizes after I started making slide show DVDs from my best shots, with a slide show program that lets you do pans and zooms (Ken Burns effect).

Now....all of my photos are taken at full size.

You never know what the future will bring.
Such as High Definition television

Collapse -
Solution - 100% guaranteed to work
by notmart / July 30, 2006 2:43 AM PDT

1. Go to local Apple store
2. Plug camera in to any Mac

Collapse -
Cannon Powershot has issues on Apple also
by AppleAly / October 2, 2011 12:32 AM PDT

I have the same problem with my Powershot SD1200 IS. Sometimes it opens up my iPhoto and my computer sees the photos and I can download. Other times (this weekend), I cannot get the computer to recognize the camera.
I've turned it on and off many times, plugged in and removed the USB cord, gone into the Utility folder and tried to boot the camera through the mac.
Nothing. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when this camera will connect to the computer.

Collapse -
(NT) And why I always carry a card reader.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2011 4:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Reply to Canon Powershot A620-computers won't recognize it
by bcatkins / July 31, 2006 2:13 PM PDT

Connect camera to PC and open My Computer & click Memory Card. The photos on the card should appear on screen. Move all to a folder and you should then be able to use Zoom Browser V5 to manipulate the photos. Works for me

Collapse -
canon 620
by gvtklt / August 3, 2006 9:39 AM PDT

I clicked on my computer, but I didn't see memory card anywhere. Could you please help me?
Thanks-

Collapse -
can't delet & reinstall
by jaydendoy / August 11, 2009 6:10 AM PDT

please send email how to do this.

Collapse -
Card Reader
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 11, 2009 6:19 AM PDT

All messages on this Forum are public.

This type of problem occurs sometimes and no one seems to have the answer, but it is most likely something to do with the computer drivers.

Many times the problem will go away....all by itself.

There is an excellent $20 solution.

Buy a card reader. WalMart has them for $20.

Then there is no need to connect your camera to the computer and no need to even load the camera software.

If you are using Windows XP you do not even have to install drivers for the card reader. XP will do that for you.
If you are using Windows 98SE, you will need to install drivers for the card reader. Some card readers come with the Windows 98SE drivers on a CD and some card readers make you download drivers from their website.

With the card reader, when you insert the memory card into the reader, the computer will recognize it as being a hard disk. You can then use Windows Explorer to copy the photo files to your C: disk.

Collapse -
Re: delete and reinstall
by Kees Bakker / August 11, 2009 6:22 AM PDT

Assuming you've got a Windows PC:
- Uninstall via Control Panel>Add/Remove software
- Reinstall from the CD like you did the first time.

Kees

Collapse -
unistall & install canon power shot a 620
by jaydendoy / August 11, 2009 6:53 AM PDT

i have tryed every everything and it won't remove it

Collapse -
Soorry to read you can't uninstall a program.
by Kees Bakker / August 12, 2009 6:27 PM PDT

The usual remedy: install again from the original medium. Then immediately unistall.
Some programs rely on Control Panel to do that, some programs come with an uninstall shortcut in Program Files. If that's present, use that.

Kees

Collapse -
Canon PowerShot A620-copmuter won't activate photo transfer
by sdqh / September 13, 2010 12:40 PM PDT

I just started having this problem today, much to my consternation! If anyone has discovered a fix, I would greatly appreciate your help. What I have figured out to do to salvage my photos and video is to remove the memory card, place it in a card reader to insertin usb port and get them saved to my computer. I use this camera all the time for online marketing - help!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?