Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon Lenses

by rockosun / November 24, 2009 11:29 PM PST

I have an Canon EOS 620 35mm camera and want to move to digital. However I have a number of lenses as well. Are these lenses compatible with the Canon digital SLR line?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Lenses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Lenses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, but...
by SX10 IS / November 24, 2009 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: Canon Lenses

If they are EF lenses (which they are), then they will be compatible. However, if the digital camera is anything but full-frame, your lenses' length will be multiplied by a factor of 1.6x (e.g., a 400mm lens will be equivalent to 640mm). If it is the EOS-1D series, it will be a factor of 1.3 (400mm = 520mm).

Good luck!

Collapse -
My assumption is that
by jump1127 / November 24, 2009 11:56 PM PST

you probably own EF lenses. If so, those lenses will work fine with new DSLR camera. However, FD lenses will not work with new Canon DSLR camera. In addition to that, you must understand Canon DSLR cameras are so various for sensor size, such as 1.6 multiplier , 1.3 multiplier, and full size 36x24 sensor. The focal length of each lense will not be the same as that of film SLR camera. Good luck whatever you may choose.

Collapse -
Full-frame=Film
by SX10 IS / November 25, 2009 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: My assumption is that

EF lenses will be the same on a 36x24 body as on a film body.

EOS uses EF.

Collapse -
More on Canon lenses
by rockosun / November 25, 2009 10:30 AM PST

Thanks for your insight. So I'm looking at Canon SLR bodies like the EOS Rebel T1i or the XSi. The lens mounting system says EF or EF-S. Can I use my existing Canon EF lenses on one and not the other? Any suggestions on which body to purchase would be appreciated.

Collapse -
EF-S only for Rebels and other APS-C
by SX10 IS / November 25, 2009 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: More on Canon lenses

All EOS cameras can use EF. Period.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!