Peripherals forum

General discussion

canon ip4000 or hp6540??

by stmara / December 1, 2004 3:08 AM PST

which is the best?? They have the same price?
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: canon ip4000 or hp6540??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: canon ip4000 or hp6540??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: canon ip4000 or hp6540?? Depends....
by Brandon Eng / December 2, 2004 12:52 PM PST

on your needs/usage. Want a multi-purpose printer, meaning some photo printing, some document printing, a little of this and a little of that? Do you value speed of printed documents over quality? I'd suggest googling "[model name] reviews" for both; look for reviews from forums dedicated to printers. And I'd go to a BestBuy or some store where you can actually test the printers and judge for yourself.

I've always been a big HP fan. I still use my 4 yr. old HP 712c for document printing, and the thing is still going strong. It also prints VERY nice "near photo-realistic" pictures on glossy paper. About a year ago, I bought a Canon i960, 1 step below their top of the line home consumer printer. Use it for printing pictures only, and you can't tell the difference of a printed pic from a film print. So I have the best of both worlds. So if you already have a printer that still prints documents well, for example, and want another printer for better pic printing, I'd *generally* say go for the Canon (didn't look up specs of the ip4000.) Canon picture printers use thousands of print nozzles as opposed to HP's and Epson's hundreds, that's why the pictures printers *generally* are much better. Depends on the model, so check the specs.

2 quick google reviews: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=news.view&news=4300

http://www.onecall.com/PID_25075.htm?FEID=70&PMNID=1011

A quick look at both, I'd go with the Canon. JMHO. Your choice. Still, I KNOW my HP is a workhorse. My Canon is less than a yr. old, so I can't comment on Canon's long term durability. Good luck!

Collapse -
by stmara / December 3, 2004 5:55 AM PST

Hi, thanks a lot for your answer, that will help me a lot! I will use the printer to print text in majority and also some graphics. I will maybe print a couple of pics just to see the results, but I will not use it for that...
Actually, I've already bought an HP at Staples, and I returned it 3 weeks later because the printer took 3-4 sheets at the same time (I try it with different type of paper..so paper is not the problem), and then my document was ruined. The printer didn't do that each time, but when I was printing both side, she did that each time on the second step...Maybe I've just been unlucky with it, but my thoughts for HP have decrease with this experience. I only own one printer in my life(a HP 695C) during 6 years now, and I want to change it... Do you think I sould try again Hp6540, or go with canon ip4000 if I don't use my printer for photos..
Thanks again!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Montreal!!!

Collapse -
by Brandon Eng / December 3, 2004 10:56 AM PST

Is this the Canon model?
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=10239

If yes, personally, I'd go with the Canon because it has seperate ink cartridges, and if it's like my Canon, there's an ink indicator where you change only the particular color ink you need to refill. It has double-sided printing also. The HP has 1 black and 1 tri-color cartridge. BUT, you say you'll be using the printer mostly for text...HP's usually have fairly big ink cartridges...still, I say the Canon even though the ink cartridges are smaller, the times you DO print pictures, I'm fairly sure you'll be happier with the results. With the 1 tri-color ink cartridge in the HP, you may find you'll have to buy a whole new color cartridge if you get low on only 1 color.

Maybe you can buy from a store with a good return policy so you can test for yourself? I think your old HP 695 is only a step below my HP 712c, so I guess the old HPs last longer. As I've said in my first post, I really can't say how durable Canons are; I bought my Canon on 1/2/04 and still haven't changed any of the ink! But I only use it for picture printing. If you can test run the printers with the possibility of returning it, maybe that's the best way to go to know for sure. Oh, one thing I can say for my Canon regarding text printing- it's near laser quality. So that may be a plus for you and the ip4000. Still a tough call; give it a test run at home, and let us know how it goes.

Bon chance!

Collapse -
by stmara / December 5, 2004 9:07 PM PST

Hi Brandon, thanks again for your advices, I really appreciate it...Yes, the canon it's the one on the link you send me...So I will follow you and try the ip4000, I'm sure I'll be happy with it....I will buy it at staples with the expanded warranty, for a total of 2 years warranty, so I got nothing to loose...

I will give you some news about it, and if you understand a little bit french, check that link, it compares model for HP6540, canon ip4000, lexmark 816 and epson c86, c66, R300, : http://www.hardware.fr/articles/523/page1.html

byebye
stephane.martin@polymtl.ca

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?