Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon HV20 Editing/HD Deck for Capturing

I am thinking about purchasing either of the following cameras:

Sony HD H1000 which can record in both HD and SD.
Canon HV20

The challenge is that the editor that I currently use does not have access to an HD deck for capturing the footage. He uses a standard deck. Is there any way to get around this? We don't want to use the camera itself to accomplish this.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon HV20 Editing/HD Deck for Capturing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon HV20 Editing/HD Deck for Capturing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon HV20 Editing/HD Deck for Capturing

In reply to: There aren't too many choices...

Thank you for the links. As expected, the HD VTR decks are terribly expensive. I guess the other alternative is to transfer footage directly to my Mac via the firewire and edit from Apple iMovie or Final Cut Pro HD? Please advise.

Collapse -
Yup! It's usually a LOT cheaper to use the camera

In reply to: Canon HV20 Editing/HD Deck for Capturing

for capture activities. Decks are definitely a high cost alternative.

Collapse -
Yes... using the HDV camera

In reply to: Canon HV20 Editing/HD Deck for Capturing

and connecting via firewire is an alternative.

If someone else is editing, it would be advantageous to use an external drive (preferably firewire) on which to save the imported files. That way getting the footage to another machine is much easier.

A few things to which you should pay attention or be aware:

1) One hour of DV will use about 14 gig on the hard drive; 1 hour of HDV will use 3x-4x more hard drive space. The *smallest* drive I suggest for HDV project and editing is 500 gig. Of course, it depends on the project - you may need more space.

2) If different computers are used, be sure the versions of iMovieHD or FinalCut (Express or Pro) are the same. You never know what oddities will happen between revisions.

3) If the versions are different, then exporting the entire project as "full quality" will result in an HDV equivalent file. Then, the other computer need only re-import - basically the same thing as importing directly from the camcorder. You can either save the clips individually (can be tedious) or as one big clip. Then when imported on the other computer, either the individual clips are brought in - or THEY have the tedious task of breaking up the clips.

4) Since we don't know what Macintosh you are on, we don't know what CPU you have. DV has imported real time for a while - HDV can take longer than real-time. On my 3 year old G5, 1 hour of HDV takes about 2.5 hours to import. I know the newer machines are a lot faster.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.