Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon HG20 Software Install

by jbdenver / January 14, 2009 10:20 PM PST

I'm having a problem installing the Pixel software to transfer video from the camera to the PC. Everything seems to install o.k. but when the camera is connected for the first time, I get an error message the there was a problem installing the driver.

System Specs
Asus P5QC motherboard w/core2quad CPU
4GB RAM
Windows XP Pro32
2TB HDD
Nvidia 9800GT

Canon does not respond to tech support requests. Hey, anyone want to buy a new HG20?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon HG20 Software Install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon HG20 Software Install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
skip the sw?
by chickenorfish / January 14, 2009 10:59 PM PST

can you access the camera as if it were a ext hd? and bypass the software all together?

Collapse -
HG20
by jbdenver / January 15, 2009 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: skip the sw?

No, the systems detects that a new device is connected but I can't see it as an external HDD.

Collapse -
Did you check Canon's site?
by whizkid454 / January 15, 2009 5:47 AM PST

They may have the necessary drivers ready for download. If so, you may need to check to see if the ones already been installed are corrupt and uninstall them. You may need to uninstall and reinstall the software package.

Collapse -
Install problem...
by Papa Echo / January 15, 2009 7:44 AM PST

Try a disk cleanup: Temp files Temp internet files... check and clean viruses.... Then turn off virus protection and install again ....

Collapse -
Canon Vixia
by jbdenver / January 15, 2009 10:06 PM PST
In reply to: Install problem...

I think it might be something else. When I connect the camera itself up to an old (4 years old) PC with WinXP Pro and a 4 year old laptop with XP Pro, the computer recognizes the camera and installas USB Mass Storage drivers.

I've connected it to four newer PC's, one with Vista Home Premium 64, Win XP Pro 32, Vista Ultimate 64, and Vista Ultimate 32, and none of them install the USB Mass Storage Driver.

So I'm really lost at this point.

Collapse -
custom computer?
by chickenorfish / January 15, 2009 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: Canon Vixia

im guessing from the build that this is a custom built computer? maybe you need some addition drivers for the motherboard? have you tried all the usb ports? try the ports on the main board in the back instead of the front and vice versa

Collapse -
Then...
by Papa Echo / January 15, 2009 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Canon Vixia

...the new computers do not have the "mass storage" drivers which enable the camcorder to be used as a hard disk...

Collapse -
huh?
by chickenorfish / January 15, 2009 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: Then...

huh?

Collapse -
That's right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: huh?

Some new computers don't come with those. You deal with the machine's maker on this since it's technical and not something most want to learn about. Plus all that it takes to understand and fix it won't fit in this small text box.
Bob

Collapse -
Custom Computer
by jbdenver / January 15, 2009 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: Then...

One of the new computers I built around an Asus mobo, I build my own PC's for graphics and video editing work, and the other is a Dell Inspiron. The Asus has a hot swap drive bay that I use to plug in different HDD's for different O/S, (XP Pro32, Vista Ultimate 32, Ultimate 64).

The old computer is also one I put together and the old laptop is a Sony Vaio. They pick up the camera almost instantly.

I haven't tried using the rear USB ports. The thing is, I also use an Olympus LS-10 voice recorder that uses a USB port and the system picks it up as well as my numerous jump drives just fine. I'm also using a Nikon D200 that connects with no problem. Seems that it is only this camera.

I was advised to try installing it through the device manager as a new camera/scanner instead of a mass storage device.

Thanks all for your time and assistance. This is certainly a new one for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?