General discussion

Canon HG20 AVCHD help

I'm a newbie to AVCHD, just bought a Canon HG20. I shot some video which I've downloaded a few times using various software, and depending on which software I use for playback, it has a problem on every one. Usually it's the video running in "slow motion", or should I say a "strobe effect", like it's missing every other frame, and the audio has an intermittent echo to it, like a DJ "scratching" repeats. Sometimes the video is still and the audio is running fine, and sometimes the video is OK but no audio. I've tried downloading with 4 different programs and it's the same problem.

Since I'm having problems with numerous download and playback programs, and since the source video/audio is OK when I play it back on my camera, I assume my problem is in my PC's drivers. I'm converting the raw .m2ts file to an .mpg file and I have no problem playing those on my PC otherwise.

I have a P4 2.4GHz CPU & 1GB RAM and I'm running Win XP Home. It's a older system, but it serves me well otherwise.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Canon HG20 AVCHD help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Canon HG20 AVCHD help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
too slow

your computer is much to slow to playback the video correctly

- Collapse -
Then how . . .

Then how can I play back other .mpg video with no problem?

- Collapse -
Failed to mention . . .

I failed to mention that if you'll read my first post closely, you'll see that I'm converting the raw .m2ts files to .mpg before I view them, and the .mpg files are where I'm seeing these problems. I can see other .mpg files with no problem, but not these.

- Collapse -
Still might be that PC.

HD video can over tax most single core P4 machines. Be sure to try these files on a more modern PC.
Bob

- Collapse -
Hd video is no problem for me

I watch HD video on YouTube all the time. I also watch MPG files I've created using my old camcorder. I still think I have something else missing, maybe a codec or a video card issue, I don't know --- if I knew, I wouldn't be here, eh?

- Collapse -
That's nice but

HD and AVCHD files are often too much to decode and watch on single core machines. I suggest a test run on some i3 or better machine.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info