Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon HG10 & Video Playback On Computer

by mn_tincup / December 19, 2007 4:20 AM PST

I recently purchased a Canon HG10 camcorder. I really like it however, I don't like the fact that it will save only 17 mintues of recording at the highest video quality to seperate files rather than the entire recorded video to one file.

I recently used it to record my daughter's Christmas program. The Christmas program was about 50 minutes. When I transferred the Christmas program to my computer hard drive, it was save in three 2GB files. It did not save the entire Christmas program to one file.

When I play back my daughter's Christmas program on the computer, it will not play back the entire Christmas program in length. Basically, it plays the first 17 mintues of her program and then stops (in the middle of a song). I have to select the second file to continue watching the program which only plays for another 17 mintues (and stops in the middle of a song). I have to select the third (final) file to watch the end of the Christmas program.

I really don't like to have to do that. So, I have just a few questions I hope a few people can offer advice / opinions.

*Is there a way to combine all three files so they play the entire program??
*If I want to make a DVD of her Christmas program, will it play back like it does on the computer or will it play back the entire Christmas program like it was recorded??
*Is there a software program that will do this for me (convert to DVD / HD-DVD as well as other file formats)?? If so, which is the best software program to use??
*Is there a hard-drive based high definition Camcorder avaialable that will save a lengthy recorded program to one file instead of several seperate files??

Hopefully a few people can spend a couple mintues replying to help me out Happy

Thanks to all that reply! Happy Holidays Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon HG10 & Video Playback On Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon HG10 & Video Playback On Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some answers...
by whizkid454 / December 19, 2007 5:16 AM PST

Yes, usually the video files are split up. It would take more than a page to explain why.

Is there a way to combine all three files so they play the entire program??---- Yes. Any video editor can do this for you provided it supports Canon AVCHD.

If I want to make a DVD of her Christmas program, will it play back like it does on the computer or will it play back the entire Christmas program like it was recorded??---- It will play back as a normal, running DVD. No need to select the next scene. However, it will be in standard definition unless you have a next-generation disc, burner, and player (BluRay/HD DVD)

Is there a software program that will do this for me (convert to DVD / HD-DVD as well as other file formats)?? If so, which is the best software program to use??---- Yes. Try looking at Pinnacle or Corel's solutions. Do not look at Sony Vegas because it only supports Sony AVCHD camcorders (yes it's strange to me as well..)

Is there a hard-drive based high definition Camcorder avaialable that will save a lengthy recorded program to one file instead of several seperate files??---- Not necessarily. It's all dependent on the manufacturer and how the camcorder is set to process the video.

Collapse -
Whizkid's got you covered on the answers... but
by boya84 / December 19, 2007 5:54 AM PST

one more item:

Breaking a single long video capture activity into smaller clips, as you described, is characteristic of hard drive-based camcorders in general. This is not specific to the Canon HG10, nor is is a characteristic of high-definition hard drive based camcorders - standard definition camcorders with internal hard drives do the same thing... As will your HG10 if you shoot video in standard definition mode.

In case you have not read through this Camcorder forum over the last few months, this item has been described a few times.

Collapse -
Thanks For The Replies...Just Another Simple ? Though :)
by mn_tincup / December 22, 2007 2:21 AM PST

Thanks for the replies Happy

One more simple question.

**After downloading the recorded video from my Canon HG10 High Def Camcorder to my computer, will the recorded video be played back on my computer in High Definition (i do have a Samsung LCD monitor 1920 x 1200 and a BFG GeForce 8800GTX video card)

Thanks again Happy

Collapse -
Probably not, but it *might*.
by boya84 / December 22, 2007 5:02 AM PST

Once the AVCHD decoding is done, the video on your computer is considered "high definition". Typically the window that the video editor uses is a small window on the screen. When you save the file in "full quality", it will be HD.

Whether your computer CPU can handle playback full-screen high definition video is the question. My take is only the most current multi-core CPUs would be able to handle full-screen HD playback. The graphics card has little to do with this.

My "old" G5 Mac has problems playing back "full quality" HiDef QuickTime movies, especially if the file is on an external Firewire400 drive - I just don't do it. Those files are for archiving only.

In the MiniDV tape environment, I can export the finished project back out to the camcorder - I don't think this is possible with a HDD based camcorder. If I want to watch the project in HD, I use my camcorder as the playback device (using component video and the stereo audio cables).

Collapse -
Another option ...
by monsta75 / December 26, 2007 1:59 PM PST

Another option is to use VoltaicHD for PC which will allow you to convert multiple AVCHD mts files into AVI format which you can then import into Movie Maker. Once there you can combine the files into one movie and then export into WMV HD, whilst still retaining the HD quality.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?