Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon HG10 purchase and data transfer

I'm 99.9% sure I want the Canon HG10 camcorder, but I'm a bit concerned (and confused) after reading review after review and all the other 'info' out there about data transfer specifically about AVCHD. I'm a novice when it comes to camcorders and don't plan on doing any type of high level editing- if any editing at all.

My questions are simple:

1- Can I transfer my recordings to an external hard drive that I use for backup for my laptop?

2- A. (Assuming #1 is "yes") I'm looking to simply transfer the recordings to my computer/ext. hard drive and burn standard-def. DVD's for regular DVD players. Do I need special software to burn standard DVD's from my computer? (I only plan on doing some basic editing, if possible.)

B.(Assuming #1 is "yes") I'm not ready to purchase a blu-ray burner and/or player yet (too expensive at this point) but I figure in the future I will purchase those items so I can watch my home videos in HD. So, can I save the recordings to an external hard drive for the purpose of future high-def disc making?

C. Are the recordings I download from camera to computer (or external HD) the same data sets use to make either Standard Def. of High Def. DVD's? (Is the difference simply the compression used for standard def.?)

D. Since I don't plan on doing much editing and more concerned w/ putting the recordings on standard DVD at this time, is the software that comes w/ the hg10 good enough for my use?

3- I have a HP dv5000 computer w/ 2 GB RAM, OS XP, 1.8 GHz processor. Is this going to be adequate for what I intend to do w/ my recordings?

4- I have a VCR to DVD burner, too. Could I hook up the HG10 to that and burn directly to DVD w/o using my computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon HG10 purchase and data transfer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon HG10 purchase and data transfer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some answers..

In reply to: Canon HG10 purchase and data transfer

1. Yes.

2A. Not necessarily. The included software will dot he easy jobs of cropping and tweaking as well as burning the DVDs.

2B. Yes.

2C. Sort of. AVCHD is a MPEG2 variant that was designed to store HD video on non-tape media. AVCHD doesnt end up on a DVD.

2D. Yes.

3. Maybe. What type of processor is it? How old is the laptop?

4. Not sure. It depends on the DVD recorder and its supported formats. Most likely not because most DVD recorders only have a Firewire port, not a USB port.

Collapse -
computer info.

In reply to: Some answers..

My computer is 2 years old and has a AMD Turion 64-bit. 2 GB RAM.

Collapse -
It may be pushing it...

In reply to: computer info.

The newer Core2Duos are excellent for this type of work. It may still work, but just not as fast as you'd hope.

Collapse -
novice

In reply to: It may be pushing it...

Do you think it'll be good enough for simple editing and burning?

Also, should I burn at a slow speed in order for the DVD to play on a stand. DVD player? I thought I read that elsewhere.

Collapse -
Should be ok.

In reply to: novice

Yes, burning at lower speeds makes the burn less prone to error. I've never had a problem burning at higher speeds.

Collapse -
Help.

In reply to: Should be ok.

Thanks for answering my questions. Any other information I should know before I purchase this (or any) camcorder and try to burn standard DVD's?

Collapse -
Have you done research on other camcorders?

In reply to: Help.

Is there a specific reason you chose this camcorder?

With regarding to burning DVDs, everything has pretty much been covered.

Collapse -
Canon camera

In reply to: Have you done research on other camcorders?

I've always had good luck w/ Canon items.

I want a HDD and I'd like HD. Plus it fits into my budget of $700.00 (ish).

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
It is a fine camcorder.

In reply to: Canon camera

You won't regret your purchase when you see the video you capture. If Canon works for you, then go for it. Remember the other options such as the Canon HV30 (tape) and HF10 (flash).

Collapse -
Thanks again

In reply to: It is a fine camcorder.

...for all your help.

Collapse -
No problem.

In reply to: Thanks again

Let us know how it works out for you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.