HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Canon GL2 or HD

by kpickman / March 14, 2007 5:18 AM PDT

I'm looking to purchase a new camcorder, but my head is swimming with all of this information. I was wondering what would be the best bet a Canon gl2 or go with a HD camera around the same price. I know they are in totally different format but the gl2 look like its more professional then some of the hd camera around the gl2 to price range. I need a camera for low budget films, but I want them to look professional! I was using a camera from the university I attend but i will be graduating this semester, the camera that they had was a panasonic AG-DVC60, I was not to impressed with the DVC60 video quaility. Also I was wondering if it was an impossible task to get great video for around $2000 price range? Thanks a million.
-kp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon GL2 or HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon GL2 or HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please clarify your meaning of "HD"...
by whizkid454 / March 14, 2007 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon GL2 or HD

High Definition or Hard Drive? The latter should be referred to as Hard Disk Drive or HDD, by the way. Thanks.

Collapse -
high def
by kpickman / March 14, 2007 5:44 AM PDT

I meant high def...sorry.

Collapse -
DVX100A.
by kpickman / March 14, 2007 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: high def

I was also wondering about the panasonic DVX100A. ?
thanks

Collapse -
Probably not the question for me...
by whizkid454 / March 14, 2007 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: DVX100A.

I think it would be better if someone such as boya84 would answer your questions on this specific topic. He seems to have more experience with professional products than I would.

Collapse -
Canon just introduced an interesting new camera at the
by Kiddpeat / March 14, 2007 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: high def

$1,000 level which is high def.

The biggest problem with the GL2 is that it is SD. It's a good camera, but most people are advising that you make the jump to high def. That way you can shoot high def even if, for now, you capture and edit it as SD. Later, you can capture and edit the same video in high def. The problem is that good high def cameras are in the $3,500-$4,000 and up range. Sony and Canon both have nice high def cameras at around $4,000.

Collapse -
The Canon GL2 is a
by boya84 / March 14, 2007 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon GL2 or HD

great camera - as you know. Just for grins, in round numbers, $2,000. With the GL2, you will also need an XLR adapter for pro-grade mics if you choose to use the on-board miniDV tape audio for your projects.

In the high-definition environment you could get to the Sony HVR-A1U and it includes an XLR adapter.

If you are concerned about the appearance of the camera - that is not going to be in the shot and you are concerned what someone may think about your equipment - that is a very different discussion but not for this thread.

The GL2 does 20x zoom; A1U does 10x (though a 2x tele adapter is optionally available.
Both use MiniDV tape
Both would require additional rechargeable betteries to be really useful.
Both should typically use a tripod but can be handheld.
GL2 uses optical stabilization; A1U uses electronic.
Both can do 4:3 or 16:9 standard definition video; A1U can also do high-definition video (1080i).
Both have good internal lens systems.

I was on a recent shoot where the other cameras were Canon XL2 (this will be a bit too expensive) and Panasonic AG-HVX200 (this will be way too expensive) and DVX100... and my Sony HDR-HC1 (the A1U's consumer sibling). I have also been on shoots where the GL2 was used... I used to like the Sony HDR-FX1 - but am now drooling over the FX7. Honestly, I really don't think you would be doing anything bad by investing in any of these cameras... I like the A1U/HC1 footprint because it is smaller and lighter than the others. The DVX100 (if you can find one) does 24p and has built-in XLR mic in jacks. The only other unit I can think of that you might consider is the Panasonic AGDVX30...

My opinion: A person well trained in film making who is familiar with their camera can create awesome content with a $400 camera. A person who is not well trained in film making and unfamiliar with their camera can create garbage content with a $6,000 camera.

Collapse -
I had to go through this stage also
by kay1985 / March 14, 2007 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: The Canon GL2 is a

I couldnt decide between gl2 or sony HDR-FX7. But I was at an awards ceremony for a film contest and I was talking to this one editor and they had some kind of sony Handycam that was nice but they suggested that I should Definately get HDV. So I made up my mind and now I'm goin with the Sony HDR-FX7. you should look into it if you havent already. At J&R you can get it for $2300 and It is an excellent camera.

Collapse -
Sony HDR-FX7
by kpickman / March 14, 2007 9:59 AM PDT

I was also thinking about the Sony HDR-FX7, but I heard that the audio controls are awful. I read that you can't control the independent audio right and left channels, and there is no xlr adaptors. So i guess my new question what should a sacrafice video or audio? I wish I had a camcorder dealer around here so i could give each a test run, but unfortuanatly I don't. I was also wondering if the gl2 still has more pro features than the sony HDR_FX7? Thanks.

Collapse -
new canon
by kay1985 / March 14, 2007 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony HDR-FX7

wat was the new canon that kiddpeat was talking about? Is he talkin about the HV10?

Collapse -
(NT) HV20
by Kiddpeat / March 14, 2007 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: new canon
Collapse -
PS: The HV20 is 24p. That means 1080p. Straight from the
by Kiddpeat / March 14, 2007 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: HV20

head Canon video guy who described the new camera. See the Calumet photo site to see that video.

Collapse -
The pros I talk to say audio is 70% of a good video. You
by Kiddpeat / March 14, 2007 12:47 PM PDT

should not sacrifice audio. However, in many situations the audio does not have to be in the camera.

Collapse -
I am fortunate to have a BeachTek
by boya84 / March 14, 2007 1:19 PM PDT

DXA-6, so put the camera into manual audio mode and use the BeachTek's volume level controls. I already do that with my HDR-HC1.

Comparing the GL2 and FX7 is hardly fair since the GL2 has been the standard def workhorse for a while and the FX7 is the hidef newcomer (and can do standard def)

Please also remember that the FX7 is part of Sony's consumer line... and the GL2 is part of Canon's pro line.

Collapse -
question
by kpickman / March 14, 2007 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: The Canon GL2 is a

Sony HVR-A1U or the sony Fx7, which is the better buy? thanks

Collapse -
Different cameras - tough choice.
by boya84 / March 14, 2007 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: question

I am finding not having dedicated zoom and focus rings on my HDR-HC1 to be occasionally problematic - the FX7 would not cause me this grief.

I am not a fan of the positioning of the HVR-A1U's Sony XLR adapter - and prefer the bottom mount method I use with my HDR-HC1 with the BeachTek - but my camera is a bottom loader, so that has it's own set of challenges.

As I said in my earlier post - I am drooling over the FX7. If I had the $, I would get it - and keep/use both. One is pratically stationary and the other for cut-aways... The HC1/A1U is a bit more portable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.